• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C is working fantastic!

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You should see what a service call costs for the self contained units at work. We only call in when they are low on gas or have a burnt out compressor. compressor swap taked 4 hrs on the easy cases and 8+ hrs on the older cases. $40/hr plus service call charge plus parts, gas and sometimes a recycling fee. $100/hr on weekends and holidays (yup, it goes down, it gets fixed). Compressors cost around 2-3 hundred on the S/C units.

You want really expensive, try the compressors up on the rack in the compressor houses. 40 HP V-4's get expensive.

All of our stuff runs pretty much 24/7/365. We have found that hourmeters die before the compressors do.

As for my ranger, i don't have Ac and i'd like to keep it that way (and 95 with humidity isn't too fun either!)

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Mine works pretty good. I wouldn't mind it being much colder though.

I'm in AZ so the colder the better and that little truck will heat up quick when its just in the sun.

A/C takes a while to chill for me but once its cold it feels great! :)

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
200-300 for a compressor?they are getting off cheap!i haven't seen a compressor change less than 1500.oo on a small unit in quite a while.most compressors cost more than that at wholesale,better keep that contractor.my boss charges a hell of a lot more!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Umm, your air conditioner turns itself off when you mash the throttle. You get the same power with or without it.
I just had the misfortune to experienced the difference between having A/C and not having it. During a trip back from Texas to So. Cal. on I-10, the A/C pulley locked up on my wife's 99 Cougar. I had a mechanic install a serpentine belt that bypassed the A/C pulley because I did not want someone working on the A/C without knowing their quality of workmanship. It was hot the rest of the trip but the gas mileage jumped up from 26 mpg at 79 mph to 31 mpg without driving the A/C. The around town gas mileage has also jumped up from the normal 21 mpg to over 22.5 mpg.

Believe it or not I could feel an increase in acceleration at WOT in first gear with no drive to the A/C pulley compared to driving the A/C pulley with the A/C off. It seems that driving the A/C pulley still draws power even with the A/C off.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're right. I don't believe it.

It could be entirely explained by the placebo effect. Try a double blind test with appropriate controls for conditions (especially the ambient temperature -- fuel evaporation works quite a lot better when it's hotter than Hell) and it might be believable.

And looking at a mileage increase on a vehicle whose compressor is about to fail isn't exactly a fair comparison. That that pulley might draw quite a lot more power when it's grinding itself up right before locking up is not surprising.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Mike, you could be right about the acceleration part, I could just be imagining it. However, I have driven that car a lot in its 100,000 mile life and have a good feel for what it can do. I have raced in SCCA for 20 years and have a good feel for minor changes in vehicle performance but there is still a possibility I am imagining it.

The gas mileage on the other hand is not my imagination. The car has a computer that records average mileage and it is within a few tenth of being correct. I have checked it many times. The before A/C failure gas mileage numbers I gave were not just what I was getting right before the A/C went out, they were based on the entire 100,000 miles before the A/C went out. I guess the A/C could have been going bad for 100,000 miles.:D

Last edited:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I get better mileage with the AC off ...... just not enough better to justify not using it.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my '88 ranger (only vehicle with plates now) a/c kinda sucks. it's still R12 but usually is a bit on the warm side. But it's good enough to stop me from having a big sweat fountain running off me. Now my '86 and my '83 ranger's a/c are insane. they both fog up all the windows........from the outside. and the blue one literally puts frost on the outside of the windshield. a thermometer says 32* but no one believes me because they say the evaporator would freeze up. Quick tip for everyone, it's better for your a/c if you have it on MAX and the blower wide open, that's the only way i have mine set.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals