• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C non A/C fan clutch

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 4 x 4 ranger with a 2.9. I am going to replace the fan clutch. I am seeing on the parts houses that there is a fan clutch for a a/c or a non a/c motor. My truck has never had a/c in it. I am not sure if the fan is the fan that came on the motor. I had a donor truck that was an 86 2 x 4 with a.c and might of used the fan from it.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What's the model number on the fan?

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure, I can check when I get home.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Model number on the fan is ; E47A-8600-BB

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think thats the fan blade, fan clutch E8TZ-8A616-H or E9TZ-8A616-M

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I couldn't find an E47A-8600-"BB" listed, but the E47A-8600-"EB" is the standard fan for a 2.9 w/AC, and should screw onto the water pump with one large nut, not bolt on with 4 bolts. The bolts are 2-1/4" on center or 3-1/4" bolt circle on the E47A-8600-EB, so I would just check the bolt pattern to be sure before you go in to buy one (you have to remove the fan clutch with the "EB", as the bolts are on the back side).
Rock Auto shows a fan clutch that fits AC and non-AC, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on there (again, check the bolt center on your existing clutch).

Last edited:

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I couldn't find an E47A-8600-"BB" listed, but the E47A-8600-"EB" is the standard fan for a 2.9 w/AC, and should screw onto the water pump with one large nut, not bolt on with 4 bolts. The bolts are 2-1/4" on center or 3-1/4" bolt circle on the E47A-8600-EB, so I would just check the bolt pattern to be sure before you go in to buy one (you have to remove the fan clutch with the "EB", as the bolts are on the back side).
Rock Auto shows a fan clutch that fits AC and non-AC, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on there (again, check the bolt center on your existing clutch).
Thanks, it could be an EB. I had the local parts store order me one. I will take the clutch and the fan over to make sure it is the correct one.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
While researching yours I discovered that I need a replacement clutch also (mine runs hot with the AC on at idle). I bought one 6 years ago from AutoZone with a lifetime warranty, and my receipt says non-AC. After speaking with someone at AutoZone it turns out that the same part number is for both AC and non-AC. The thing you want to be careful with is to NOT get a non-thermal clutch. Non-thermal clutches rob more power from the engine, resulting in less gas mileage.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought the AC clutch. The seems to have fixed my issue. I can hear my fan run now. I did not realize that my fan was so quiet before???

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got to get out today and install warranty replacement clutch. The 33 year old OEM clutch I temporarily installed is VERY quiet also.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought the AC clutch. The seems to have fixed my issue. I can hear my fan run now. I did not realize that my fan was so quiet before???
Good work

You should hear the fan on cold starts for a few seconds, 5 or so, then it will unlock and get quiet until radiator heats up and clutch starts to engage fan to pull more air thru radiator

If old clutch was not engaging then yes, the new clutch will make fan more noticeable

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals