• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD Shift Kit Main Pressure

john5482

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed my main line tranny pressure has reduced from what the specs call out. The A4LD in question, is a redesigned 4.0L for use with a 2.9L engine I've been working on. After installing a shift kit into a standard factory rebuilt valve body, I noticed my tranny's main line pressure stays at around 60-75psi at 1000 RPM with the modulator set at 10" of vacuum throughout all gear ranges while the engine is warmed up. The tranny has a slight harsh shifting delay with the low pressure, I have reprogrammed the VB for hard shifting to improve performance. I also use an oversize shift improved overdrive servo kit with the valve body shift kit. My question is: Does a valve body shift kit when set for hard shifting reduce the main line pressure? From the above setup, the main pressure should be at least 115psi in drive, not 75psi according to the factory pressure specs. This reduction of pressure maybe normal since the valve body circuits have been altered from OEM designs. I installed shift kits many times before, but this is the first time I started taking the time to perform controlled pressure tests in transmissions. I may reprogram the valve body at a later time for softer shifting to verify my theory in line pressure reduction. In the mean time, I can't seem to find any answers about shift kit reprogramming and it's influence on line pressure.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm interested in adding the results of your work to the A4LD page when you're finally done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals