• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD swap/fitment question

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Hi all just got into the Ranger family. I picked up a couple of 1993 Rangers recently for me and my son. His truck is a 2.3L automatic 2wd. But the trans is bad, slipping and hard shifting when it does. I would rather not put the money into a rebuild just yet. I have done searched the forum and googled the A4LD. I am picking up today a 1986 Mustang 2.3L and Trans out of a good running driving car. Thinking the transmissions should be the same?

In my searching I learned that the trans I need for my 1993 Ranger is a 1985- 1994 A4LD (2.3L bell housing) because of the manual 1&2 and the electronic controlled 3&4th gears. It wasn't till after that I read somewhere that the Mustang and Ranger transmissions may have a different plug set up? Ranger having 3 pin and Mustang having only 2 pin. I think those plugs are attached to the valve bodies? If so can I just swap valve bodies?

I hope I can get this Mustang trans to work in the Ranger, any help or suggestions where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
The plug itself is attached to the case and needs to be changed along with the valve body. May also have to swap shifter linkage. If I recall the cars and trucks linkages are oriented in different positions.

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
The plug itself is attached to the case and needs to be changed along with the valve body. May also have to swap shifter linkage. If I recall the cars and trucks linkages are oriented in different positions.
Brad, The 86 Mustang A4LD trans only has a 4 prong plug?
IMG_20190423_165344.jpg
IMG_20190423_170154.jpg
IMG_20190423_165638.jpg

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
That’s a C3 transmission in the picture not A4LD. The will not interchange. That is a 3 speed and the A4LD in the 93 Ranger is 4 speed.

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Thank you for clearing that up for a Ranger Newbie Brad. Well craap now I'm back to where I started. I need a good used A4LD for the 93 or need to learn how to rebuild my transmission. Both seem rather hard to do. I even called 4 local transmission shops and none of them want to touch the older transmissions because of lack of cores and hard parts (if needed) and the cost is usually more then the vehicle is worth.

walthagl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Here are a couple of sites you could visit to get more information. One is a guy updating the A4LD the other is a company that sells parts for the transmission.https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/project-frankentranny-aka-a4ld-4r55e-5r55e-hybrid-project-a-must-read.146953/

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thank you for clearing that up for a Ranger Newbie Brad. Well craap now I'm back to where I started. I need a good used A4LD for the 93 or need to learn how to rebuild my transmission. Both seem rather hard to do. I even called 4 local transmission shops and none of them want to touch the older transmissions because of lack of cores and hard parts (if needed) and the cost is usually more then the vehicle is worth.
It looks like quite the drive from your location to me but shipping may not be terrible. But I would be happy to offer my services on the A4LD. Have an abundance of parts and knowledge to keep the older stuff going. Message me if you are interested and we can talk.
Thanks Brad.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals