• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

a4ld vs aod vs 4r44e

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
i think a4ld means automatic 4speed light duty.
i think aod means automatic with over drive
i think the 4r44e is a internal computer controlled 4 speed with over drive, actually a 3 speed w/ od
is a 4r44e the same as the aod or is the aod an auto 4 speed without any electrics/computer
i i have a 89 2.9 automatic (i assume a a4ld) if i change the bell housing/front pump to a 83 2.3 trans, will it work? will it handle the increased hp?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are correct with your naming translations except that the 4R44E is a 4-speed, not a 3-speed. The idea that it is a "3-speed with OD" means that you have to seriously believe the OD gear is not a "speed". It is. I know that's how things were named back in the 70s when OD transmissions were new, but these days it is considered incorrect.

The 4R44E is a computer controlled A4LD with a few beefier parts. The AOD is an early version of the 4R70W.

A 2.3 A4LD should stand up to a 2.9, should be the same guts. You should use the 2.9 torque converter, there may be differences there.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dont forget that the 5r44e exists also for no known reason. Nasa scientists are still trying to figure that one out....

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
True, don't confuse the A4LD and AOD/4r70W, completely different animals, one holds 4 quarts of trans fluid one holds 12... I've had some issues with my 4r70W but I don't really blame it. I've heard ok things about the A4LD as long as you keep it cool, but that seems hard to do.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
i don't get educated if i don't ask questions
the computer controlled trans; 4r and 5r. is the unit self contained? that is; if it has a power source (electric) is it independent of the 'brain' that controls the motor? or does the brain tell it when to shift based on temp/rpm/position of throttle(passing' floored it now go) and other things an old timer like me will never grasp?
to clarify that 'old timer' statement; my first car was a 57 fairlane -bought it from my big brother-straight 6 standard 3 speed on the column. it was new enough not to be a rust bucket but old enough that it only cost me $100. (great learner car but it didn't do well in snow or maybe that was just my inexperience at driving)
the aod; was that for larger trucks and a4ld was for rangers? or just for different motors?
there is a listing for the worst a4ld yearwise. it seems like it's mainly a chance to vent because the writer trashed his trans. are they really that bad? with the 'beefier' parts from a 4r44 will they last? (i don't race or off-road but i am always trying to keep up with these new cars. slow cars may not be in the accident but often cause them)
i'm looking for dependability and longevity. whatever i come up with has to last another 20 years.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
On the ranger the transmission controller is part of the ecu. (Just one computer controls both engine and transmission). Some vehicles have a seperate computer for the transmission, but the 2 computers still share info. No matter how the electronics are setup the transmission uses alot of data from the engine to know when and how to shift (on an electronically controlled transmission anyway).

The a4ld and 4r44e are the same transmission, the 4r44e just got a different valve body that was fully controlled by electric solenoids and a computer but internally they use the same parts. The 4r55e got some stronger parts for the 4.0 engines.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A4LD was Fords first light duty OD transmission and it used a solenoid(TCC solenoid) for earlier torque converter lock up for better MPG, the engine computer controlled this and all future solenoids
Any torque converter will lockup for direct drive when speeds gets high enough, but that doesn't happen driving around town, which is one reason automatics had much lower MPG than Manual trans
The TCC solenoid/computer has the benefit of driver input, i.e. gas pedal and brakes, so computer could lock torque converter earlier, and unlock it when stopping

A4LD got a 2nd solenoid(3-4 shift) in 1987/88 for better shifting to OD, so it didn't "hunt", i.e. shifting between 3rd and 4th all the time

Most transmission shops had NEVER SEEN any OverDrive transmissions before, let alone automatics with solenoids
But that didn't stop them from "fixing them" and of course 3-6 months later the A4LD is back at the shop because they goofed, but they wouldn't say "I goofed" what they say is "it was a bad design by Ford", because that is what many people do, lol, "Hey, not my fault man"

And thats where the "A4LD is a bad trans" comes from, if properly repaired or rebuilt it lasts as long as any automatic
And as said the A4LD, 4R and 5R are the same transmission except for some updated parts which you can use in the A4LD
A4LD came out in 1985 and 5R was last used in 2011, thats 26 years for same automatic, and no matter what you might think of Ford, lol, even they wouldn't stay with a bad design for 26 years
A4LD and the 4R and 5R were only for use with 4cyl or V6 engines, not V8s
A4LD was used in these vehicles:
1985–1990 Ford Bronco II
1987–1993 Ford Mustang (when equipped with the 2.3 I4)
1987–1988 Ford Thunderbird (when equipped with the 2.3 I4)
1985–1994 Ford Ranger
1986–1994 Ford Aerostar
1991–1994 Ford Explorer
1991–1994 Mazda Navajo

AOD was a larger transmission and made for V8 power/torque, and had no solenoids so no computer needed
AOD-E got added solenoids and needed a computer
As said the 4R70W was after the AOD-E and it had full solenoid shifting like the 4R44E, but for V8 power

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals