• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ABS Kicks in at low speed while braking

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Good Morning everybody!

So, here is where I am at. I have a 2009 Ranger (FX4). Truck has 38000 miles, in good shape. The ABS system recently started kicking in when braking and turning at low speeds, like say pulling into a parking spot at a store. It has continued and now will engage when coming to a stop when straight. It only kicks in at speeds less that 3-5 miles and hour. There is no ABS light or brake light.

I suspect wheel speed sensors, and checked them. FSM says resistance should be between 380 and 480 ohms. Both sensors check out with 430-435 ohms. I will check the rear sensor a little later today. (Edit: Checked, falls right where it should at 1900 ohms)

My gut it telling me that I will probably need new wheel bearings, since there could be dirt or debris in there that really wouldn't be able to be cleaned out. I would probably use either Timken or Moog, since they seem to be the best available. (I'm open to recommendations).

If anyone has any guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Did you check the rear abs sensor as well as the fronts? They can also test fine but have a problem with the tone ring (broken teeth etc). Or the wire/connection can be damaged especially since you have a small lift and it happens when turning.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
First off use a scanner that deals with ABS and has a graph. From what is described you have one wheel wheel sensor, possibly more but for sure one, that is the signal is dropping out at low speeds. This is usually caused by the magnet in the sensor becoming weak.

Use the graph section of the scanner and take the truck for a ride and make it happen. The graph should show which sensor is dropping out while the others are still reading wheels that are still spinning. Because one or more sensors are reading no movement while others are, the ABS system kicks in while your foot is on the break. EDIT: Brake... Gosh I always goof that one up.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I dealt with this for a while with my Forester. It was an ABS sensor that was dropping out at low speeds, indicating to the computer that the wheel speed had dropped to zero.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
That is pretty much what I had figured, a sensor going bad. I don't have a scanner that can show data like that, I just have a basic OTC.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Have you tried to pull any trouble codes the may possibly still be there? I know your light is off but curiosity has got me now.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Lets say when this happens... does the truck pull to one side or the other? If it pulls right... LF speed sensor is bad. If it pulls left... RF speed sensor is bad. If it doesn't pull... look to the rear.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Bgunner- I tried pulling the codes with my OTC scanner. It does do abs and SRS, and it showed no codes. Sadly the scanner won't show live data so i can't monitor the sensors.

Uncle- It does pull to the right, and I kinda figured the left sensor could be the problem then.

I have a local mechanic who should have a scanner capable of looking at each sensor while i am driving / braking. This should then confirm my suspicions.

Just curious, does anybody have any opinions on wheel bearings, Timken or Moog? In the even I do have to replace them for some reason.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Replaced the sensors last weekend (and upgraded to #1 torsion bars). The driver side sensor actually came apart when trying to remove it. The black plastic was stuck in the hole , managed to get it out with a pair of needlenose pliers. So far so good, new sensors were the ticket.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
For the future, you can buy a scan tool with full PIDs that will give you wheel sensor data for a little over 100 bucks these days. The launch cr123 does it and is $120 and continues to drop in price since newer models are coming out. You can probably find one on sale for less than a hundred if you look hard enough.

Makes diagnosing issues like that take about 5 minutes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals