• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ac problem

Deanward121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So pretty much my 93 ranger xlt with a 4.0 has a ac problem!! When I got the truck I replaced the compressor accumulator and had it all recharged!!! 7 months later now when I push down on the button to turn the ac on the 10 amp fuse for the ac blows immediately.. the blower motor works and heat works but as soon and the compressor is about to come on the fuse in the cab blows...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
10amp fuse in cab fuse panel, right?

That fuse power runs thru several devices before it gets to the Compressor clutch

Fuse-------AC switch-----------Cycling switch------(High pressure switch)----------WOT relay------Compressor clutch

Any one of these with a short to Ground will blow that fuse

(High pressure switch) is not used with the old CFC refrigerant, 1993 may have CFC

WOT(wide open throttle) Relay should be UNDER the Engine fuse box in a 1993
There are 3 relays there, EEC(PCM) Relay with Brown base, Fuel Pump Relay with Green Base, WOT Relay with Black base.

Pull out the WOT relay from its base and then test if short is gone.
Use a volt meter or test light on the 10amp fuse terminals, with WOT Relay unplugged there would be no path to ground thru the Clutch coil, so no volts and no light

If short is still there then leave WOT out and check High pressure switch and then cycling switch, unplugging each to see if short goes away

If fuse terminals still show voltage then short is in the AC switch in dash
There is a wire from that switch to the Computer(PCM), pin 43 on computer, unlikely but if this wire were shorted to ground fuse would blow

If Short goes away when WOT Relay is unplugged then short is in the AC Clutch or Diode, wiring after Relay
Could also be the compressor has locked up, it happens, but not common

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals