• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adding power steering to a 84 2.0L that never had it, can the engine even deal with p/s?

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
hey guys sorry to bump this again, but is it possible that that if the power steering pump I just installed grinds and leaks fluid from the pulley mount like crazy, it’s just a bad pump?
I bought a remanufactured one and it looks newish, repainted and everything, but the hoses are snug in, fluid seems to be leaking from the pump itself..

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If it's leaking from the pulley then the shaft seal has failed. Likely was never replaced during the reman process. The grinding is especially worrying. Ford power steering pumps are notorious for whining, but grinding doesn't sound good.

neinnein_nein

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
soon-to-fire up 2.3 turbo lima
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
3!!
If it's leaking from the pulley then the shaft seal has failed. Likely was never replaced during the reman process. The grinding is especially worrying. Ford power steering pumps are notorious for whining, but grinding doesn't sound good.
Yes that must be it! Reading comments and apparently those Cardone reman ones often fail and some people say just shell out for a motorcraft? Was questioning my seal placement and install job but this thing was loud as hell straight out of the box and really feels like junk.

also I find the drive belt pretty hard to tension once you replace these things, is there a trick? I seriously wound up running a ratcheting strap from wheelwell to wheel well under the alternator to try and prop it up to create tension, pull it up as hard as possible and tighten the bracket bolt..

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just seeing this now but I have a full powersteering setup from my 1st gen 2.3 parts truck that I'd trade you for your manual setup. Im only an hour north of the city in Orange County.

20190615_193209.jpg

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
Not sure y you didn't just look for a parts truck with power steering already in it like I did.alot less headache.and u know everything is there.and I sold it and made my money back.napa has the best remaned pumps and gearboxes.never had any problems with them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals