• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aftermarket cooling fan "non electric"

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am thinking that my cooling fan clutch is going out. I want to replace it with a aftermarket fan with the hope that it will use less hp, work better and look better. I looked around and did not find anything on this issue. My current fan is screwed on and the pump has 4 bolt holes to hold on the pulley. Anyone replaced the stock fan? I am also considering adding a puller electric fan on the outside of the fan.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I used one of the aftermarket fans that spin all the time (no fan clutch) years ago and it didn't help the cooling system at all. I'd either go full electric or stick to the factory fan clutch.

Like this one:

IIBRONCOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So the good thing about a direct drive fan like in the picture above is it is working all of the time (especially at idle). If the engine is kept at 3000 rpm's or under there is little to no HP loss. Simple and effective. But no fan can fix a cooling system that is not in well maintained condition.
I run a flex fan (one in picture above) in a 1988 2.9 in 100+ degree weather a/c on and idling, and it is always working and cools fantastic.
I have also replaced all other components of the cooling system.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The flex fan certainly didn't keep my 2.9 from cracking a pair of heads..

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
A flex fan would be a big step down from the factory clutch fan. They may have been an improvement over the rigid metal fan on my '66 Mustang, but that's about it. Why do you think it is failing?

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a aftermarket temperature gauge. I keep my cooling system is good condition. When it is cool in the morning I can watch the temp gauge drop when the thermostat opens. My system is correctly sealed up and my overflow is at the proper level. In the later part of the day when it is warmer, The temp creeps up to between 185 and 190 while I am driving down the road. It drops down to around 181 to 184 when stopped at a light. This is my second gen 1 2.9 ranger I have built and have had no cooling issues with this motor. My gas milage is still the same as it has been for a long time so I don't believe it is a motor problem.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Your thermostat might not be closing fully making it run too cool at idle. Then again i don't know that engine so maybe it's just the bypass.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the flex fan....on a good day is a piece of crap. but if it is working for a arizona guy then thats fairly significant. they do not pull max air at idle and the fact his ac is working peachy at idle if proof that a low power rbv gets away with one of those things just fine. a v8 or higher power v6 ranger i wouldnt waste the effort.

the oem ranger cooling system is overkill. the plastic hipo fan and clutch are ideal and wont cut you up as bad as the flex fan. i prefer those with stock power. easy to get parts for and very reliable to a point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals