• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag problem - need some knowledgeable help

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I posted a thread in the electrical forum about a month ago and got exactly one response. The person told me to do what I already had done - he apparently didn't read the entire post. The problem is an airbag light

The advice was to clean the electrical connections because they are probably corroded. The question in the post was where are the connections since there is only one beneath the drivers seat that I can see and I had already cleaned that one.

Anyhow, the issue is that I get code 24 (1996 ford ranger 3.0L). My brother in law borrowed the truck and left the back window open and it rained hard all night. The back half of interior and seats got soaked. I suspect that a connection got wet and corroded. I find only one wire bundle under the drivers seat and I've already taken care of that one. A few weeks after the window was left open the airbag code showed up. I think its related but can't be sure.

Can anyone tell me where there might be other connections and what seat to cab connections might serve as grounds. I'm trying to avoid having to remove the carpet and seats.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
LFC 24 corresponds to two different actual DTCs. It would be helpful if you could get the codes read with an actual reader and tell us which one is there, but both of them point to a possible failure of the "diagnostic monitor" which lives up near the inertia switch, behind the RH kick panel.

Here is the full text of the pinpoint test:

On a black background highlight the white boxes to see the text in them.

A1 CHECK FOR HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

• Connect Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) Tester 007-00500 or equivalent to DLC located under the instrument panel.
  • Perform on-demand self test as outlined in this section.
Was DTC B1342/B1924 retrieved?

YesNo
NOTE: This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault may not be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC no longer is retrieved during on-demand self test.

GO to A2 .
NOTE: This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time.

GO to A7 .
A2 CHECK IF CONCERN IS MODULE FAILURE

Using results from A1, did self test respond with DTC B1342?

YesNo
REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .GO to A3 .
A3 CHECK PRIMARY SENSOR FEED

• Deactivate system.
  • Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor.
  • Set multimeter to highest scale (200K ohms or AUTO).
  • Measure resistance from diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C1-15, Circuit 619 (PK/W) and C2-23, Circuit 625 (Y/LG) to Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W)(LH primary crash sensor).
  • Measure resistance from diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C1-16, Circuit 617 (PK/O) and C2-24, Circuit 624 (Y/W) to Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W)(RH primary crash sensor).
Are resistance readings infinite (open)?

YesNo
GO to A6 .GO to A4 .
A4 DETERMINE IF SENSOR OR WIRE IS SHORTED

• Disconnect suspect primary crash sensor found in Step A4.
  • Measure resistance across normally open contacts of primary crash sensor at the sensor connector.
Is resistance reading infinite (open)?

YesNo
GO to A5 .REPLACE primary crash sensor. RECONNECT system. GO to A14 .
A5 CHECK FOR SHORTED SENSOR CIRCUIT

• Measure the continuity to ground of Circuit 619 (PK/W), Pin C1-15 (LH primary crash sensor).
Is resistance 1 MEG ohm or more?

YesNo
SERVICE Circuit 625 (Y/LG) - LH primary crash sensor or Circuit 624 (Y/W) - RH primary crash sensor for resistance to ground. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .SERVICE Circuit 619 (PK/W) - LH primary crash sensor or Circuit 617 (PK/O) - RH primary crash sensor for resistance to ground. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .
A6 CHECK FOR INCORRECT WIRING

• Examine air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C2-22. Pin C2-22 should not be used.
Is a wire connected at Pin C2-22?

YesNo
CORRECT improper wiring. RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .
A7 CHECK FOR SERVICED DTCS

• Deactivate system.
Has a DTC B1342/B1924 just been serviced?

YesNo
GO to A14 .GO to A8 .
A8 CHECK PRIMARY SENSOR CIRCUITS

• Deactivate system.
  • Measure resistance from diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C1-15, Circuit 619 (PK/W) and C2-23, Circuit 625 (Y/LG) to Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W)(LH primary crash sensor).
  • Measure resistance from diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C1-16, Circuit 617 (PK/O) and C2-24, Circuit 624 (Y/W) to Pin C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W)(RH primary crash sensor).

YesNo
GO to A11 .GO to A9 .
A9 IDENTIFY SHORTED CIRCUIT

• Disconnect suspect primary crash sensor found in Step A9.
  • Measure resistance across normally open contacts of primary crash sensor at the sensor connector.

YesNo
GO to A10 .REPLACE primary crash sensor. RECONNECT system. GO to A14 .
A10 CHECK SENSOR CIRCUITS

• Measure the continuity to ground of Circuit 619 (PK/W), Pin C1-15 (LH primary crash sensor).

YesNo
SERVICE Circuit 625 (Y/LG) - LH primary crash sensor or Circuit 624 (Y/W) - RH primary crash sensor for resistance to ground. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .SERVICE Circuit 619 (PK/W) - LH primary crash sensor or Circuit 617 (PK/O) - RH primary crash sensor for resistance to ground. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .
A11 CONFIRM BATTERY CONNECTION

• Deactivate system.
  • Measure voltage between diagnostic monitor harness connector Pins C1-13, Circuit 937 (R/W) and C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W).
Is voltage measured equal to B+?

YesNo
GO to A12 .SERVICE open in Circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A12 CHECK FUSE 18 (10A)

• WARNING: CERTAIN FAULT CONDITIONS (SEE PINPOINT TEST B1913 OR B1914, NORMAL OPERATION) MAY CAUSE THE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR TO INTENTIONALLY BLOW THE 10A BATTERY FUSE TO DISARM THE AIR BAG SYSTEM. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A BATTERY FUSE. ANY OTHER FUSE VALUE MAY CAUSE FUTURE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. ONCE THE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR HAS DISARMED THE SYSTEM, IT WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO AGAIN UNTIL THE APPROPRIATE FAULT CODE (DTC B1913 ORB1914 ) HAS BEEN CLEARED. THUS DO NOT REACTIVATE SYSTEM UNTIL ALL FAULT CODES HAVE BEEN SERVICED AND CLEARED.
  • Inspect Fuse 19 (10A) feeding air bag diagnostic monitor, Pins C1-13 and C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W).
Is fuse value (10A)?

YesNo
GO to A13 .REPLACE fuse with correct value (10A). Do not use any substitutions. RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A13 CHECK FOR SHORT TO B+

• Remove Fuse 19 (10A) feeding diagnostic monitor Pins C1-13 and C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W).
  • Measure voltage between diagnostic monitor harness connector Pins C1-13, Circuit 937 (R/W) and C1-18, Circuit 570 (BK/W).
Is voltage reading zero?

YesNo
REPLACE Fuse 19 (10A). Do not use any substitutions. REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .SERVICE short to battery on Circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A14 CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

• Connect NGS to DLC located under the instrument panel.
  • Select: IABM.
  • Select: Diagnostic Test Modes.
  • Select: Retrieve/clear continuous DTCs.
Were any DTCs retrieved?

YesNo
REFER to DTC Index and PROCEED to proper pinpoint test to CONTINUE diagnostics.REACTIVATE system as outlined. CLEAR all DTCs as outlined.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
LFC 24 corresponds to two different actual DTCs. It would be helpful if you could get the codes read with an actual reader and tell us which one is there, but both of them point to a possible failure of the "diagnostic monitor" which lives up near the inertia switch, behind the RH kick panel.

Here is the full text of the pinpoint test:

On a black background highlight the white boxes to see the text in them.

A1 CHECK FOR HARD OR INTERMITTENT DTC

• Connect Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) Tester 007-00500 or equivalent to DLC located under the instrument panel.
  • Perform on-demand self test as outlined in this section.
Was DTC B1342/B1924 retrieved?

YesNo
NOTE: This is a hard fault. The fault condition is still present. This fault may not be cleared until it is corrected and the DTC no longer is retrieved during on-demand self test.

GO to A2 .
NOTE: This is an intermittent fault. The fault condition is not present at this time.

GO to A7 .
A2 CHECK IF CONCERN IS MODULE FAILURE

Using results from A1, did self test respond with DTC B1342?

YesNo
REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .GO to A3 .
A3 CHECK PRIMARY SENSOR FEED

• Deactivate system.
  • Set multimeter to highest scale (200K ohms or AUTO).

YesNo
GO to A6 .GO to A4 .
A4 DETERMINE IF SENSOR OR WIRE IS SHORTED

• Disconnect suspect primary crash sensor found in Step A4.

YesNo
GO to A5 .REPLACE primary crash sensor. RECONNECT system. GO to A14 .
A5 CHECK FOR SHORTED SENSOR CIRCUIT

YesNo
A6 CHECK FOR INCORRECT WIRING

• Examine air bag diagnostic monitor harness connector Pin C2-22. Pin C2-22 should not be used.
Is a wire connected at Pin C2-22?

YesNo
CORRECT improper wiring. RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. VERIFY system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .
A7 CHECK FOR SERVICED DTCS

• Deactivate system.
Has a DTC B1342/B1924 just been serviced?

YesNo
GO to A14 .GO to A8 .
A8 CHECK PRIMARY SENSOR CIRCUITS

• Deactivate system.

YesNo
GO to A11 .GO to A9 .
A9 IDENTIFY SHORTED CIRCUIT

• Disconnect suspect primary crash sensor found in Step A9.

YesNo
GO to A10 .REPLACE primary crash sensor. RECONNECT system. GO to A14 .
A10 CHECK SENSOR CIRCUITS

YesNo
A11 CONFIRM BATTERY CONNECTION

• Deactivate system.
Is voltage measured equal to B+?

YesNo
GO to A12 .SERVICE open in Circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A12 CHECK FUSE 18 (10A)

• WARNING: CERTAIN FAULT CONDITIONS (SEE PINPOINT TEST B1913 OR B1914, NORMAL OPERATION) MAY CAUSE THE AIR BAG DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR TO INTENTIONALLY BLOW THE 10A BATTERY FUSE TO DISARM THE AIR BAG SYSTEM. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A BATTERY FUSE. ANY OTHER FUSE VALUE MAY CAUSE FUTURE DISARMING FAILURE AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. ONCE THE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR HAS DISARMED THE SYSTEM, IT WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO DO SO AGAIN UNTIL THE APPROPRIATE FAULT CODE (DTC B1913 ORB1914 ) HAS BEEN CLEARED. THUS DO NOT REACTIVATE SYSTEM UNTIL ALL FAULT CODES HAVE BEEN SERVICED AND CLEARED.
  • Inspect Fuse 19 (10A) feeding air bag diagnostic monitor, Pins C1-13 and C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W).
Is fuse value (10A)?

YesNo
GO to A13 .REPLACE fuse with correct value (10A). Do not use any substitutions. RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A13 CHECK FOR SHORT TO B+

• Remove Fuse 19 (10A) feeding diagnostic monitor Pins C1-13 and C1-14, Circuit 937 (R/W).
Is voltage reading zero?

YesNo
REPLACE Fuse 19 (10A). Do not use any substitutions. REPLACE air bag diagnostic monitor. RECONNECT system. REACTIVATE system. GO to A14 .SERVICE short to battery on Circuit 937 (R/W). RECONNECT air bag diagnostic monitor. GO to A14 .
A14 CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

• Connect NGS to DLC located under the instrument panel.
  • Select: IABM.
  • Select: Diagnostic Test Modes.
  • Select: Retrieve/clear continuous DTCs.
Were any DTCs retrieved?

YesNo
REFER to DTC Index and PROCEED to proper pinpoint test to CONTINUE diagnostics.REACTIVATE system as outlined. CLEAR all DTCs as outlined.
Thanks for trying to help. This is helpful if I understood it. My code 24 is from the flashes on the dash. What sort of reader do I need to be using an "actual reader". I have a code reader for OBD2 stuff. I have a friend who can lend me a much better one but I might need some hints to help me use it. He bought it to read ABS codes.

If the diagnostic monitor has failed can I just buy a used one at the junkyard and put it in or is it tied to the VIN number?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need one that does airbag codes. Most code readers made in the last five years that do ABS can also do airbags.

That old none of the modules should be specifically tied into the VIN, and a junk yard one should be plug and play.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The mechanic said mine had a problem with the airbag on the steering wheel.
Mine doesn't have airbags :/
Sounds like you found your issue.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You need one that does airbag codes. Most code readers made in the last five years that do ABS can also do airbags.

That old none of the modules should be specifically tied into the VIN, and a junk yard one should be plug and play.
Thanks - used ones aren't that expensive. The trick is finding the same part number. Maybe its dead and replacing it will fix it. I'd rather spend a few bucks and hope than tear out the seats and carpet looking for corroded connections. I'm going to start by getting a better code and decide what to do next based on that. Thanks fo getting me pointed in the right direction.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals