• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All wheel drive mustang project.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It was just a general question.....not necessarily a "preference" issue.
:icon_thumby: It's kool...I followed the thread of the member attempting the swap into a ranger, the whole time thinking :dunno:, but it was interesting...
SVT

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just like the power that the one our 2000 XJ has. I've got a 4.2 in my 1978 CJ (basically same engine), but it's like me......old and worn out.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
It has been talked about, but the length is what makes them ugly. The length of a 5.0 is borderline comfortable in there.
my background on my laptop right now is a 4.9l swapped into a ranger that a guy uses as a work truck, it actually doesnt fit to horrible. The fire wall looks like it got the bfh treatment but its given me inspiration to do my swap, i just gotta find an efi 300 with harness and computer to put in it, but i might go carbed for awhile since you can get a complete carbed motor for $100

and im hoarding the pics for myself, i cant find them anywhere else but on a site nobody would ever think to check for, so they are mine :p

Last edited:

DesertDeville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mustang gt
Transmission
Manual
maybe use the ranger 4x4 set up, until you get to the power transfer then you explorer system to get power to the front wheels... the only part is getting the different components to work with each other.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Could you imagine if real life conversations were like this...

You're hanging out chatting with some folks, the conversation dies down and you all move on. Then 8 years later out of the blue some random stranger jumps out of the bushes and starts the conversation back up like nothing happened.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Could you imagine if real life conversations were like this...

You're hanging out chatting with some folks, the conversation dies down and you all move on. Then 8 years later out of the blue some random stranger jumps out of the bushes and starts the conversation back up like nothing happened.
My wife and I actually do that sometimes.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He was probly doing an internet search and wound up on that page, not realizing it was 8 years old.
I found some of it interesting myself.
About 45 years ago when I was a bit younger i went up to South Dakota Black Hills and got a job at the Homestake gold mine. Deadwood and Lead were rather small towns then, it was winter, they were very hilly and not too spread out, so it was easier to walk around it than to drive. Maybe a mile to work at 5am, 1/2 mile down one side of a mountain, 1/2 mile up another, 25 below, but not bad, not a lot of wind and it was a dry cold.
There was a man there who built 4 wheel drives of most anything. They were all rather jacked up but looked really cool. He had a Camaro, an El Camino, an El Rancho, darn I can't remember the number of vehicles I saw there. Not sure if he sold them or if it was just a hobby but he did a lot of them that way

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There's a 4x4 Corvette monster truck at the local body shop that's been sitting out front as their sign post for about 30 years. It's just a vette body bolted to a big jacked up blazer frame with 44's though. Not really a converted vette. Plus I've never seen it move so it may literally just be the vette body sitting on the frame and not functional in any way. It's just part of the town now...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals