• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Am I missing something?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Have you tried an AGM battery? Might be better.

Also yes you probably have a parasitic draw somewhere.

Also yes new batteries are as junk as new parts and new tools nowadays.

I used to swear by Interstate, theres a factory direct warehouse nearby that will sell to public. started having issues and they wouldnt exchange me a battery that was DOA still in the box. I just cross my fingers and get the vatozone ones. Battery tenders are my friend, I have a drawer of em.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yes... this is my 06 Ranger having issues.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well temps are warmed up to 17 degrees...

Think I'm gonna go out and see if I can figure this thing out.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So... a bit of a follow up.

Temps have been better... but it has rained pretty much all day everyday for the past two weeks. I dodged rain drops and did some diagnostics but never pin pointed the issue.

Last week Friday... my daughter called and needed a jump. So I put the truck back together enough to go rescue her. While out I had to do some other errands... figured I would just disconnect the battery while doing my tasks and I would still start and get home... and it did. After getting groceries put away I went back out (I had left the hood open and battery disconnected) and checked draw on the system. It was at 67mA... not the 650mA I started with. So the large parasitic draw issue was now gone. I didn't fix anything... so it has to be intermittent.

I connected the battery cable... closed the hood and left it sit in the driveway overnight. Truck fired right up Saturday morning. Then the truck sat until last night (2 1/2 days) and I needed to drive it to my grandsons 1st birthday party. Truck fired right up. So definitely an intermittent issue.

I guess I'll get back to trying to diagnose it when it acts up again.

Probably going to show itself again at the worst possible time. I have a sneaky suspicion that it has something to do with my aftermarket remote start.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Optima and Interstate have gone downhill....The latter I was shocked and gave it another try but no, they suck. Their warranty sucks too. I quit the green batteries for good once they warranty shafted me over something stupid.

I just get whatever the chain parts store has now that looks recently stocked...and the cheapest one, because that's what people buy, so at least it will be fresh on the shelf.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I just get whatever the chain parts store has now that looks recently stocked...and the cheapest one, because that's what people buy, so at least it will be fresh on the shelf.
Good point. I'm guilty of cherry-picking through the manufactured date stickers when I buy a battery.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
So... a bit of a follow up.

Temps have been better... but it has rained pretty much all day everyday for the past two weeks. I dodged rain drops and did some diagnostics but never pin pointed the issue.

Last week Friday... my daughter called and needed a jump. So I put the truck back together enough to go rescue her. While out I had to do some other errands... figured I would just disconnect the battery while doing my tasks and I would still start and get home... and it did. After getting groceries put away I went back out (I had left the hood open and battery disconnected) and checked draw on the system. It was at 67mA... not the 650mA I started with. So the large parasitic draw issue was now gone. I didn't fix anything... so it has to be intermittent.

I connected the battery cable... closed the hood and left it sit in the driveway overnight. Truck fired right up Saturday morning. Then the truck sat until last night (2 1/2 days) and I needed to drive it to my grandsons 1st birthday party. Truck fired right up. So definitely an intermittent issue.

I guess I'll get back to trying to diagnose it when it acts up again.

Probably going to show itself again at the worst possible time. I have a sneaky suspicion that it has something to do with my aftermarket remote start.

interesting,,, my 2000 also has an aftermarket start, and lately the battery goes down in 3 days.
the remote start has been there for 6-8 years and worked ok the whole time.

swapped batteries between Rangers, it's definitely the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals