• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amature Rally Car build (MK3 VW Golf)

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Have always been in love with Rally Racing, it is the most fun to watch of all motorsports in my opinion. So Working at Mazda i seen we had some wholesale cars on the lot and checked out this Golf, Liked it and got it for 200$.

I think its the 1.8L 4cyl. (will find out for when i rebuild the motor, runs as is but i want to)
Plans:
-Rebuild Motor or find something a little more powerful.
-Racing exhaust...not ricer exhaust.
-Proper shocks.
-Strip everything out of the interior for weight including all heating ducts and radio stuff. (leaving dash shell and cluster)
-Bigger slotted/drilled Front brakes.
-Convert rear brakes to disk.
-Remove proportioning valve 50/50
-New brake lines running on the inside for safety
-Hydraulic hand brake
-Build Side intake scoops that run to the rear brakes for cooling.
- Route hoses to front Brakes for cooling.
-Some BFG All terrains if they make them small enough.
-replace sunroof with sheet metal and a roof scoop for ventilation.
-Professional roll cage.
-2 Racing seats.
-2 harnesses.

Not in that order.

So any idea's/suggestions?

Last edited:

jhammel85

I love it man. I'm a huge fan of rallying as well.

It looks like a steal for 200 bucks!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
nice find! i had those rims on my tercel for a while haha, and now i have them on my Ranger.
an engine from a jetta or a passat would be a good option if u want more power. i believe they are 2.0 or 2.4, not so sure.

a slight lift and some at tires would look killer on it.
keep us updated

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Sweet! didn't bother to look in the hatch...Alpine v12 amp with a type s 10" sub in a box.
But yeah thanks, i want to get a bigger engine but im doing a budget one so....who knows im gonna look into turbocharging the one that's in it with a Suzuki swift turbo or something of that size.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
I used to be huge into dubs. If it is a 1.8, the 1.8 is a bit of a dog...might want to look into swapping in a newer 2.0 ABA motor, very common swap and a lot of good write ups. If youre looking for good info, go to vwvortex.com they are the BEST vw forum on the net, and are actually one of the BIGGEST forums on the entire internet. A lot of good info over there.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
I used to be huge into dubs. If it is a 1.8, the 1.8 is a bit of a dog...might want to look into swapping in a newer 2.0 ABA motor, very common swap and a lot of good write ups. If youre looking for good info, go to vwvortex.com they are the BEST vw forum on the net, and are actually one of the BIGGEST forums on the entire internet. A lot of good info over there.
I drove it today and it seems quite fast... nothing compared to my BMW E30 but not bad at all and thanks yeah for sure gonna be bookmarking that site. Defiantly keeping my eye open for a vr6 though.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck on the build.
The safety stuff; good cage, fuel cell, seats,harnesses [I recommend Hooker Harness-the ratcheting style] Will cost $2,500.00 to $5,000.00. Figure on the high side of things and you won't get blindsided by costs.
All the little stuff add at least another $1000.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
for rallying Id advise against the VR6. In stock form it doesnt make that much power, however does respond extremely well to boost. The weight of that engine will hurt you rallying. Youd be better off with either a hopped up DOHC 16 valve from a MK2, or a small turbo on your 8valve. Remember youre going to add a lot of weight for safety crap, so youre going to want to save weight where you can. A VR6 just doesnt add to the mix, plus will make the car understeer big time.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Good luck on the build.
The safety stuff; good cage, fuel cell, seats,harnesses [I recommend Hooker Harness-the ratcheting style] Will cost $2,500.00 to $5,000.00. Figure on the high side of things and you won't get blindsided by costs.
All the little stuff add at least another $1000.
yeah the safety shit is expensive but I'm friends with a professional welder so im gonna work out a deal hopefully.

for rallying Id advise against the VR6. In stock form it doesnt make that much power, however does respond extremely well to boost. The weight of that engine will hurt you rallying. Youd be better off with either a hopped up DOHC 16 valve from a MK2, or a small turbo on your 8valve. Remember youre going to add a lot of weight for safety crap, so youre going to want to save weight where you can. A VR6 just doesnt add to the mix, plus will make the car understeer big time.
Good point i dont want understeer at all. I want to turbo the one thats in it for sure but would require finding the right turbo that would spool fast (like the Chevy sprint 1.0 3cyl turbo)

Any suggestions on shocks?

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
you can actually get coilovers quite cheap for the vdubs...may want to look at going that route for tuning/adjustibility reasons.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Got offered the white one beside it for 450$ might take it got to see what engine is in it. and rear discs or not... been thinking if i do a 10" front disc set up i could move the discs from the front onto the back and put the calipers on the back if i make a backing plate to hold it right?(1/4"?)

Anyway hit up Canadian tire for some Crazy carpets(red) to turn into mud flaps but they dont sell them this early...shit wonder if any store will this time of year.

So this is the Amp/sub combo i got with the car. It bumps nice but i don't like loud music while driving so it will be sold soon enough.

Did a front end conversion on a 05 mazda 3 to a speed bumper, so i grabbed the bumper to see if it will fit and it looks like it will! (with some fiber glassing that is) Oh you can see the ranger in this picture lol...

will be much nicer to do front brake cooling off the bumper as well

compared to

Look at where the OBD-2 reader is.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
you can actually get coilovers quite cheap for the vdubs...may want to look at going that route for tuning/adjustibility reasons.
Any suggestions on brand etc? and shit dude the VWvortex lay out sucks so confusing they also need a tech library like we have haha.

compaqeo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
Sold the car for 1,000$...i want something more reliable for the street. Looking at another BMW E30 or Mercedes-Benz 190E

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whelp ya made money on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals