• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another SC3.8 into 86 2.9 4x4 thread!

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been searching the site but cant find my answer. I can pick up a super charged 3.8 out of a 90 thunderbird for pretty cheap with 5 speed tranny. My main question is with this truck being a 4x4, can I change the transmission tailshaft to bolt to my t case?? If so is that transmission longer or shorter than my toyo kogyo 5 spd requiring new drive shafts as well? Im just debating if I should buy the combo & go for it or not? Original plan was a 4.0 swap, but then I came across this supercharged 3.8. I seen some awesome setups with this motor, but those were in 2 wheel drive trucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
personally

i would run a 302 fullsize r2 4x4 setup with a jeep 208 if possible

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any idea if that tranny can be mated to the ranger t case & what all would be involved to make it work. A V8 swap would be nice, but from what ive read so far, those SC 3.8s seem to do quite well on fuel economy & I also like the fact that it would be different. Basically im just trying to get an idea of what it would cost me to make it work...

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody? Just still waiting to decide on the motor..

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i was suggesting to run the 3.8 with the 302 truck trans and the jeep fullsize 208 case with the ford input shaft swapped into it. you can cut an inch off the tranny output or have a 1-1 1/4 in spacer made up for it.

or use the late shorter borg units from the big fords. advanced adapters did have a kit to put the ranger case behind the f/s trans though.

if you want to use a 300 there is a kit that does that with a ring and 31 input.

if you really want to use the 1350 case advanced adapters has the (P/N 50-4502) for the 31 spline ford 4x4 transmissons.

Last edited:

BRONCMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Right on. Thanks Bobby. Still trying to decide on that motor. I talked to the guy & told him I wont be back down that way until the end of the month, so if it sells in the meantime, oh well, but if not I might have to pick it up.

RANGERICK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 & 1989 B2
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Be patient and use a torque wrench when called for.
I have been searching the site but cant find my answer. I can pick up a super charged 3.8 out of a 90 thunderbird for pretty cheap with 5 speed tranny. My main question is with this truck being a 4x4, can I change the transmission tailshaft to bolt to my t case?? If so is that transmission longer or shorter than my toyo kogyo 5 spd requiring new drive shafts as well? Im just debating if I should buy the combo & go for it or not? Original plan was a 4.0 swap, but then I came across this supercharged 3.8. I seen some awesome setups with this motor, but those were in 2 wheel drive trucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advance Adaptors makes an adaptor so you can use the 3.8 and tranny. You will likely have to make new drive shafts. That's not so hard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals