• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any experience

nick112207

Reaction score
Anyone ever had any experience with Boss subs? one of my friends suggested them because he said they were fairly cheap. which they are. but idk how good of quality they are

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
Cheap and speakers do not belong in the same sentance. If they are cheap there is a reason........ I haven't even heard of that brand. The last I bought were JL audio 10's with a legacy signature Amp (tell you how long ago that was ...... atleast 8 years ago). Traded the subs and the amp for complete 91 explorer that I drove until I hydrolocked the engine and sprung the frame in the spokane river

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
before we start getting into this...... what is your goal .......... you want clarity or power, or both?

nick112207

Reaction score
Well all im looking to do eventually is replace the 4 stock speakers and throw in 2 woofers. I'm more into bass than anything else

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
you don't need 2 subs for good bass. you can acomplish that with a single 10". with your subs its all about your box and how its ported. Thats all I can tell you there because I know nothing about porting a box, but my brother does and he builds all his own boxes (if he wasn't in the phillipenes I could ask him). in my suburban I am running an eclipse head unit with pioneer 2" in speakers in the dash, eclipse 5.5" tri-axles in all 4 doors, pioneer tri-axle 5x7's in the back with a single polk audio 10" hidden in the tail doors (sub in 1 door, kenwood 1800w amp in the other). plus 20 band EQ (had it for 15 years, don't recall the brand and the letters have faded off) to seperate the dash speakers from the door speakers. When I am listening to syphony music it sounds like I am in the concert hall.

nick112207

Reaction score
I was told i should try 2. But i was thinking only 1 plainly because i still want to be able to use the two jump seats comfortably. I do want a woofer with alot of power though

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I would use a singe 10". people that think more is better don't know about electronics. match your sub and amp. pay attention to frequency responce. and use filters. speakers themselves have no power. that power rating it what they can handle. look at the rms power on the amp and the rms power on the sub. these need to match. look at the resitance (ohms) on the amp and the resitance on the sub, these need to match. your filter also need the same resitance rating as the amp and the sub. for good bass you need to have a box that is built to your truck. more power with out tuning it just gets you distortion.

nick112207

Reaction score
Alright. Ive got a buddy who is really good with electronics. He re did his whole car stereo system. Had to put in a capacitor it drained so much power from his car battery. haha. I was gonna get his help.

And i did a little research on this Boss company. Its called BOSS Audio Systems and they've been around and making car stereo equipment and speakrs for 20 years. Might be something worth looking into for me

this is their site. tell me what ya think
http://www.bossaudio.com/main/index.php

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
is there somewhere you can go to listen to them? never buy any speaker with out being able the listen to it first. remember .... Kraco built stuff for cars for 30 or 40 years and they are crap. Like I said, I have no experience with them so I couldn't tell you.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I've worked with Boss before, and they're not too bad for the price. Truely, a good driving bass will come from eq, and the freq. it's crossed over at.

I'm in the process of installing a Pyle 18" sub I ripped from an old PA cab I never use. These woofers sound wicked good when run right. I'd suggest if you're looking into cheap, good, and loud, look into Pyle.

We used 4 of these to run bass in a club and we did some wicked things with em, and they kept up night after night after night. this 18" is raited as low as 20hz, the balls out bottom of the sound spectrum and it was handleing 900 watts RMS (peek raitings are bullshit)... But thats the pro end, but I hear their car audio is pretty bitchen too.

www.pyleaudio.com

and you can get em cheap at

www.bsless.com

Tempe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever had any experience with Boss subs? one of my friends suggested them because he said they were fairly cheap.
He says Boss are good quality
Time for some new friends

what i would really like is a woofer with peak power somewhere between 1000 and 1500
Peak power is nothing but marketing. You should be looking at stuff that does not even list a peak power rating. Trust me there are many INEXPENSIVE woofers out there with surprisingly good performance.

Alright. Ive got a buddy who is really good with electronics. He re did his whole car stereo system. Had to put in a capacitor it drained so much power from his car battery. haha. I was gonna get his help.
Capacitors are a complete waste. The money should have been spent elsewhere--adequate power cable, solid grounds, the big-three, second battery & isolator, or upgraded alternator. "Needing" a capacitor comes from not following the preceding steps.

And i did a little research on this Boss company. Its called BOSS Audio Systems and they've been around and making car stereo equipment and speakrs for 20 years. Might be something worth looking into for me
So has Pyramid... Yet companies like Phoenix Gold go into ruins. There will always be the budget brands for those uneducated and wanting to not spend much. If you were a complete n00b looking for an amp, what would you do in this situation? There are two amps for the same price. One is rated at 80 x 2 at 4 ohms driven into full bandwidth with limited distortion and is of course created with high-temperature components that will last you. The other's heat sink is painted a shiny color and has a huge badge saying "800 MAX WATTS!!!" Which would you buy? That's why there are always budget-line items.

If you want to save money either buy used reputable equipment or do your research as to which new inexpensive equipment will sound good and actually last.

I am really not trying to sound like an ass; I'm just telling you like it is :D

T

nick112207

Reaction score
Well see idk what to think about the Boss speakers. Because only reviews i find say that they are good speakers for their price. I've found no reviews saying they are bad. The problem is i've only found about 3 or 4 actual reviews.

And no he needed the capacitor because his car is a really crappy old one thats on its last leg and he didnt want to spend the money on another battery. not to mentions the capacitor is pretty damn sweet looking and adds to the whole systems look.

Tempe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What amp you using?
What is budget?
What size (measurements) enclosure you plan to use?
What else in system?
What is your goal (sound quality, output, sick lowend, or combo)?
Will you be building the enclosure?

T

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals