• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any Experts on 2010 Sport Trac Electrical Systems here?

JoeCanada

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My BIL has a 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin that is eating batteries like no tomorrow. One shop he took it to told him he had a bad battery, he buys a new one, truck kills it in a couple days, exchanges for another new one, kills it again...you see where this is going.

So he brings it to me, and the first thing I check is what the truck is drawing for current just sitting there with nothing on, it's pulling over half an amp. Probably what's killing the battery. So I go through and pull fuses until the current drops, and it turns out pulling fuse 2 on the interior panel brings the current draw down to almost nil.

Problem is, the manual is very undescriptive as to what fuse 2 is for - it just says 'Microcontroller'. OK, microcontroller for what? Pulling that fuse knocks out the radio, locks, keyless entry, power windows, signal lights, maybe more I haven't noticed, but the truck still starts and runs.

Anyone have a electrical diagram, or an idea of what is on the circuit fed by fuse #2? I've been searching, but there isn't a ton of info out in the wild on these Sport Tracs.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Go to either www.sporttrac.org or the Facebook page for Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owners. If Todd Z sees your post he will probably know.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That microcontroller is sometimes called the GEM or body control module
Probably had other names, too. In it are timing circuits that are supposed to turn off certain electrical systems/circuits after a certain delay time. For example; turning off the headlights X seconds after you remove the key or turning off the radio X seconds after you remove the key. This is sometimes called the "battery saver relay" circuit. When that malfunctions, your battery dies fast. One circuit turns off the dome/courtesy lights a period after you close the doors. So, that gets tricky when you are troubleshooting it because you will have a tendency to want the door open while you walk around checking fuses and lights and things.

Anyhow, get the GEM/ body control module checked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals