• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ANYONE HAVE A NOISY 2.9L VALVE TRAIN THEY WANT QUIET?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@PetroleumJunkie412 it's snake oil, smoke&mirrors, trickery. Dont drink the Kool Aid, 2.9 are supposed to tick, its how you know its in time.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
8thton...

You don't back it off after zero lash... you tighten it. And the technique I describe have been around for 60 maybe 70 years. Something to remember here... hydraulic lifters always have zero clearance. If there is clearance... it's gonna make noise.

In fact I can't think of a cam in block design with hydraulic lifters that doesn't preload hydraulic lifters. If they're non adjustable... preload is set by push rod length or perhaps shimming up the rocker stands if to much... and adjustable types... well you just adjust them.... tighter then zero lash.
You are correct and I was wrong - I was doing too many other things and not thinking about it properly. I still think this approach is simply guessing and setting the lash to a random value. The lifter may or may not have oil trapped in it, depending on how fast it leaks down after the supply of pressurized oil goes away. The factory method has you get a clearance from the fully extended spring in the lifter and then go in a set distance. But that won't help if there isn't enough oil flow to prevent air from getting trapped in the lifter (that lacks an exit hole), though it might make up for the excessive wear on the rocker tips.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ok. @8thTon made me realize I have no idea what this. Here's my @Ranger850 moment.

What is this sorcery? Why use it? Will it cure my male pattern baldness?
It's just really thick oil - the standard band-aid for engines with too much clearance and resulting oil pressure problems (I wasn't serious).

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's just really thick oil - the standard band-aid for engines with too much clearance and resulting oil pressure problems (I wasn't serious).

Well. Now I know.

...jerk.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You are correct and I was wrong - I was doing too many other things and not thinking about it properly. I still think this approach is simply guessing and setting the lash to a random value. The lifter may or may not have oil trapped in it, depending on how fast it leaks down after the supply of pressurized oil goes away. The factory method has you get a clearance from the fully extended spring in the lifter and then go in a set distance. But that won't help if there isn't enough oil flow to prevent air from getting trapped in the lifter (that lacks an exit hole), though it might make up for the excessive wear on the rocker tips.
It's all good... I have lost a bunch of information that I had stored in memory to make space for new interests. No harm no foul.

Now as far as this approach is "simply guessing".... I thinks it's more of just how they should get adjusted in the real world. I also think it should be done with the engine running... although it's a bit harder when the adjusting screw is moving up and down about a half inch in fairly rapidly.

Now I may get flamed for this... but I've heard this talk of no exit for oil on these hydraulic lifters a couple times lately. I simply don't believe this to be true. Every hydraulic lifter I've ever encountered indeed has an exit hole. Oil enters the lifter through a hole in the side of the lifter body that operates in a bore and has an oil galley feeding oil... and exits out a hole in the top. Which in fact feeds oil upward through the pushrod and splash lubricates the rockers.

Maybe one of you 2.9L experts (@PetroleumJunkie412 ) can clear this up for me.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's all good... I have lost a bunch of information that I had stored in memory to make space for new interests. No harm no foul.

Now as far as this approach is "simply guessing".... I thinks it's more of just how they should get adjusted in the real world. I also think it should be done with the engine running... although it's a bit harder when the adjusting screw is moving up and down about a half inch in fairly rapidly.

Now I may get flamed for this... but I've heard this talk of no exit for oil on these hydraulic lifters a couple times lately. I simply don't believe this to be true. Every hydraulic lifter I've ever encountered indeed has an exit hole. Oil enters the lifter through a hole in the side of the lifter body that operates in a bore and has an oil galley feeding oil... and exits out a hole in the top. Which in fact feeds oil upward through the pushrod and splash lubricates the rockers.

Maybe one of you 2.9L experts (@PetroleumJunkie412 ) can clear this up for me.
I'm no expert lmfao. Just stubborn and like to give the 4.0 fanboys something to b*tch about.

So, the 2.9 lifter does have a bleed/feed hole in it. There is no hole in the pushrod, however.

The rocker shafts are hollow, and the center rocker pedestal has an oversized bolt hole in the center to allow oil to enter when it's pumped up from the cam bearings.

So, oil flows from the cam, into the rocker shaft, out holes in the shaft into the rocker arms, out of a weep hole in the rocker arms, and *supposed* to flow down the rod onto the lifter. If you have any garbage in your rocker shafts, oil flow stops.

The other problem is the rocker shaft springs cause the arms to bind up against the pedestals. This slows or stops flow depending on age.

It's a piss poor design, granted. It's why the spacers are what I'd consider a critical modification to make to the 2.9. Really wish that jackass didn't run off with my spare heads and rocker assemblies

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Talk about going against the norm... I'll stand corrected.

junky... I use to convert all my VW rocker shafts.... wavy washer and hair pin clips to solid bolt together/shim/spacer types as shown below.

Can you tap the ends of the rocker shaft then machine spacers/shims to convert these shaft and eliminate the springs? In my head it seems viable... but not always true.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
All this talk about getting rid of the 2.9 tick... Great, but isn't that tick like THE defining feature of our 2.9s??? Why get rid of it! Haha!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Can you use solid lifters from a 2.8 and adjust it as needed?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 2.8 solid lifters had issues with a lack of lubrication, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea. Sven Pruett's book states that you can use 302 solid lifters with a solid lifter camshaft, but there's some extra work involved, and he doesn't go into much detail.

Here is a link to someone that converted the stock 2.9 lifters to solid lifters, http://evilrobotarmy.blogspot.com/2012/08/fixing-fords-29-solid-lifter-conversion.html. And though the author of the article says he had no issues after several thousand miles, I've read that it's not good to run solid lifters on hydraulic lifter cams (solid lifters need a "ramp" on the cam lobes).

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
cam bearings

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals