• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know how to hard wire trailer wire

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So my truck has the tow package and I used to have the t-connector where you unplug the rear lights and plug the t connector in a voila you have a 4 flat trailer hookup. Well last night I had zero lights due to the plug corroding at the adapter. The other end of the plug is still good and there are 5 or 6 wires that go into a black box and then the other side of the box is the basic 4 way wiring. Is there an easy way to wire a 4 way onto this truck without botching anything. I was going to get another adapter and they pissed me off but I may still get it. I called the O'Reilly's this morning and asked if they had it and they said they "normally do but it looks like someone bought the last one yesterday" but they said they could have one by noon today. I said great, I'll be there around 2 to get it. When I get there they said, the other store (another town) has it but we can get it by 5. I was like, what the hell, you said you normally have it in stock and you would have it by noon and now your telling me you don't have it. He says "I didn't know you wanted it" and I'm like really? That's why I was calling to see if you had it in the first place. So I go to advance auto (only those two stores, three if you count Napa and want to pay double lol) and they tell me that they can't even get it at all and that it's a factory direct part. So I'm like really??????!!!!!!! How ridiculous. So I wasted a trip to two different stores and didn't get anywhere. Time is of the essence as I need the trailer tomorrow!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Trailer wiring here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/TrailerLights.shtml

Your 1999 is a 3 bulb system, so shouldn't need an adapter unless your trailer only has a 2 bulb system
1999 Ranger uses a Dual filament bulb for Park and brake light, and a single bulb for turn, so thats 3 separate lights on each side

But Trailers are often wired for brake and turn bulb to be shared

1 wire for park lights
1 wire for left turn/brake
1 wire for right turn/brake
1 wire for ground

In that case your 1999 needs the adapter to combine turn and brake to one wire on each side
OR you can add brake light on each side of the trailer

If you are in a real jam, then U-haul will have the adapters but usually not cheap

And if your desperate, lol.................and not driving at night, you can high jack the parking lights for use as the brake lights, so you would have turn signals and brake lights
OR if you will be driving at night then don't hook up turn signals, just have the Parking and brakes lights

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You can build your own converter with 3 relays.

Relay #1:
Pin 85 - stop light signal (from truck)
Pin 86 - ground
Pin 30 - fused power (you have to run this wire, there are no constant power wires at the back of the Ranger)
Pin 87 - split to pin 87a on both relay 2 + 3
Pin 87A - split to both pin 87 on relay 2 + 3

Relay #2:
Pin 85 - left turn signal (from truck)
Pin 86 - ground
Pin 30 - output to trailer, left turn
Pin 87 - from pin 87a on relay #1
Pin 87a - from pin 87 on relay #1

Relay #3:
Pin 85 - right turn signal (from truck)
Pin 86 - ground
Pin 30 - output to trailer, right turn
Pin 87 - from pin 87a on relay #1
Pin 87a - from pin 87 on relay #1

Wire the parking light and ground outputs and you're done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals