• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone know much about a coleman powermate air compressor

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I bought this for a good price and I have been needing a medium size air compressor. I already have a craftsmen pancake compressor that I use a lot and wanted something a tad bigger but still portable. Found this coleman powermate handyman 4 hp 11 gallon air compressor. I got it and it works good but it does not show what the flow rate is for air tools. I cannot for the life of me find anything online. I am wanting to use this for basic tire pumping and if it could run an air impact that could break lug nuts loose then that would be great too.anyone know much about these compressors, if they are good? what they can be used for? what they are rated for? Here are the pictures of the only tags on here but they don't give much information. Please help me figure out what this is capable of. I don't want to buy a bunch of air tools for nothing.

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
That will be just fine for airing up your tires and using small air tools. I would not expect it to be able to run a 1/2 impact gun tho...

AJ

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You might break lug nuts loose with that thing, but I wouldn't trust it to put them back on.

It is rated for a max PSI of 135. Most shops are running unregulated air upwards of 175 PSI, so your tools will be quite anemic.

I don't know the specs on it, but an 11 gallon tank, you are probably flowing a MAX of around 5 CFM at 90 PSI. Most common tools are between 4 and 6, but like I said the more pressure the more power. More pressure also means more air coming out, so less keeping up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For tires I wouldn't worry about it too much, don't expect it to run a die grinder at full blast or a 3" cutoff saw or a sander, but for normal household stuff that will be fine, I'd expect it to be fine for tires and what you are talking about. Air tools are rated at 90psi, I run my 145psi compressor wide open which helps with the lug nuts... For tires, expect the compressor to run constantly basically, it'll most likely keep up

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You have almost all the info you need to figure out exactly what this unit flows. Empty the tank and then time it from start to cut-off. A little google-fu and you can convert 11 gallons into cubic feet. Then it's just a matter of manipulating the numbers until you get
CFM; Cubic Feet per Minute
The CFM will be at 135 psi. Most CFM is posted at either 90 psi or 40 psi. If you can control your cut-off pressure to 90 psi then you will have a number that is easy to compare to other compressors [I don't think this is possible without changing your regulator]. There is probably a formula to convert from 135 psi to 90 psi out there that will give you the same info.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
CFM is just a number that I wouldn't worry about too much on low air usage tools. Sanders and grinders are high usage tools that I have had no luck using on even my 20 gallon compressor, throw in air hammer too to some extent, don't expect that to cut through frame rivets like some people talk about doing... For lug nuts an impact is actually a fairly low air usage tool, you have 10 seconds max of high power requirement followed by a very light load, at worst you will have to wait for the compressor to cycle to break the next lug nut loose from my experience...

From a calculation standpoint timing it from 0 to 90psi is not the same as CFM at 90psi, the rating is CFM at 90psi is very different and not very calculateable for the average person... but it also doesn't matter as much as you would expect...

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok sounds good to me. I actually have a 3/8" and a 1/2" impact and it seems to run those good at free spin. I haven't had a chance to try to break a lug nut loose. I don't ever use an impact to tighten lug nuts, don't trust them. I always use either a torque wrench or just my 18" breaker bar. I used to change tires all day everyday for 2 years so I have a pretty good natural feel of what 100 pounds feels like on a torque wrench. So I swapped the air hose for the orange coiled air hose from harbor freight. seemed like the 3/8" 50' hose what restricting air flow. that orange coiled hose helped a lot. so far, I like it. I just needed something slightly bigger than my pancake compressor. I figured since this has a 4 hp motor and 135 psi it should be pretty capable besides having the larger tank. wish I could find a manual for this though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Mine is not a Coleman but this is a sticker that is on the motor. Is this what you're looking for? :icon_confused:Sorry it's kinda worn.

Last edited:

ColemanCompressor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2600i
Transmission
Manual
Hello I'm looking for these answers too
ok sounds good to me. I actually have a 3/8" and a 1/2" impact and it seems to run those good at free spin. I haven't had a chance to try to break a lug nut loose. I don't ever use an impact to tighten lug nuts, don't trust them. I always use either a torque wrench or just my 18" breaker bar. I used to change tires all day everyday for 2 years so I have a pretty good natural feel of what 100 pounds feels like on a torque wrench. So I swapped the air hose for the orange coiled air hose from harbor freight. seemed like the 3/8" 50' hose what restricting air flow. that orange coiled hose helped a lot. so far, I like it. I just needed something slightly bigger than my pancake compressor. I figured since this has a 4 hp motor and 135 psi it should be pretty capable besides having the larger tank. wish I could find a manual for this though.
How is it working have you used it used the air ratchets that is? What about the impact? I recently got the same compressor as you and and am wanting it mainly for blowing carbs out, air gun and a ratchet and maybe an impact . Just to break some nuts and bolts lose on mini bikes

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I still have it. It works good for impacts but the tank doesn't last long with an impact. I have battery stuff so I mainly use it for tires or cut off wheel. It's reliable. Kinda loud though but it is a 4 hp motor. I got a silver bullet oil air compressor I've been fixing up lately.

ColemanCompressor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b2600i
Transmission
Manual
So could I efficiently run a ratchet and impact? Not constantly but here and there I'm also potentially making a aux tank here soon that will add 6 gal..

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For what you are talking about, you should be fine, long running of a ratchet will get weak and you might have to wait for it to cycle between some lugnuts but it's workable if you have patience. I use my 2.5hp oiled 20 gallon compressor for stuff it's not great for...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals