• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic to Manual Clutch Pedal Assembly Swap?

matt21067

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
So I have a 1988 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4-originally an A4LD (still in the truck currently) but I figured while it sits where it's at, Id try and figure out probably the hardest problem which I believe lies in the pedals. After visiting 3 different junkyards and browsing probably daily on classified sites like Craigslist and OfferUp, I finally found a couple on eBay listed for a 1984 - 1988 so I figured I'd give it a go. After looking at the serial numbers, it looks like it came from an '85 and has the outward-style clutch pedal that doesn't seem as if it would line up with the push rod for the clutch master cylinder. I saw on the A4LD to FM146 (what I'm trying to do) and I think we have the same year truck and pedals. He mentioned he had to have his "milled to fit" but I'm not 100% sure as to how he was able to make it work. Anyone here run into the same sort of problems or know any workarounds? I'll probably know a little better tomorrow as to my exact situation as I retrieved my Hydro assembly from the parts truck tonight and I'm sure I'll mess with it a little tomorrow after work.

<--Outward Style (mine)
<--Inward Style, probably what I need

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need the pedal set for an '88. They are a one year only thing. I think you can use earlier but have to change the dash harness to plug into the other style clutch position switch.

88 left, 83-87 right. I think the brake pedal is the same in either set.

matt21067

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
Would you have any idea where I could find the 88 pedals? I have no clue where I could look at this point unless someone here is willing to sell/ship. I ended up contacting the parts department at a local ford dealership to find the part numbers and help locate the right transfer case gasket (I plan on retaining the manual shift T-Case and dropping the electric shift from the 5-speed) and a shifter assembly because the bushing on the trans was completely shot.

I left the CPP sensor on the hydro assembly when I pulled it from the parts truck so I would "assume" that it would still function as expected assuming the push rod would connect up, otherwise, I suppose worst case scenario I could just forego the clutch safety switch and avoid the cruise control (which I normally do anyway) until I could find a better solution down the road.

These trucks are cool, but it seems trying to track down specific parts becomes a challenge in itself (y)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got mine from a user on here that happened to be stripping an '88 for parts.

You might put out an APB in the parts wanted section and see what pops up.

FWIW I just use gasket maker between the trans and t-case, it works great.

matt21067

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
So I have to ask before I put the whole dash back together, how difficult wouldn't be to just swap the pedals or if possible just the clutch pedal and leave the bracket in place?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
So I have to ask before I put the whole dash back together, how difficult wouldn't be to just swap the pedals or if possible just the clutch pedal and leave the bracket in place?
You can leave the bracket in place and install the clutch pedal, you just have to unbolt the ebrake and move it out of the way.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just unbolt the ebrake release handle, not the pedal assembly. The main dash harness made it a mild PITA. Automatic the brake floats on a pin so coming apart is easy. Fishing the clutch pedal in which has the pin welded on it is a little hairy but doable very doable. Don't pull the dash/bracket over it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals