• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic to Manual Swap Tips?

haydo

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey everyone,

My buddy is parting out his truck and he's got a 2010 Ranger 4.0 2WD with torsion bars, his manual trans was mint but he ended up scrapping the truck. I've got a 2008 4.0 2WD also with torsion bars.

How simple is this swap? I understand the basics behind an auto - manual trans swap, but is there;
- Anything specific about rangers that make it difficult?
- Any differences between my 08 ranger and his 10' ranger that I need to look out for?
- Just general advice on the swap

I'd also love it if anyone had a link to an in depth guide on swapping from an auto 08 truck to a manual trans, things I'd need, etc.

This is all very theoretical, but I think I'd really enjoy having a manual ranger.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
It would've been much easier to do if you had the whole truck...

I'd be willing to bet the electronics will be the hardest part. Almost have to send the PCM off to have the transmission functions deleted.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Since 1986 and the first automatic with a solenoid there have been TWO different PCMs(engine computers)
One for manuals, and one for automatics

You can leave in the automatic PCM when swapping to a manual trans
But the CEL(check engine light) will come on with Key On and stay on full time because Automatic PCM needs to "see" transmission solenoids when its powered on
Not a big deal, just a light, but if any new codes are set you won't see that unless you check the codes for any new ones regularly

Swapping PCMs after 1998 becomes an issue with PATS(passive anti-theft system), i.e. transponder keys
With 2004-2011 Rangers there is an added issues as PATS is in the digital instrument cluster(HEC)
And the HEC and PCM were "married" at the factory so one can not be swapped without the other unless they are "remarried"
This was to prevent odometer swapping to lower the miles on a vehicle for resale, but also effects PATS
Now you could swap HEC and PCM from a manual trans 4.0l Ranger/Mazda B4000
It would be plug and play because they are already "married"
Although you would need your current keys added to the new HEC/PCM, unless you can get the new HEC/PCM's ignition lock cylinder and at least one of it keys

Swapping or not swapping PCM still requires some wiring changes
Reverse lights are fairly easy, the automatic has a DTR switch on the drivers side of transmission that has the 12v IN and 12v OUT wires for Backup lights, Manual has a 2 wire switch, so easy to splice those 2 wires together

The Safety switch is also on the DTR, to prevent starting in gear, you can just jumper these wires so starter will work with the key, but there can be some issues with REV Limiter
All PCMs have a REV Limiter of 3,000rpm, the PCM needs to see "in gear" status from the DTR with automatic PCM, or clutch pedal UP with manual PCM, or engine RPMs will be limited to 3,000

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals