• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auxiliary Light Mounting Options?

JW20

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 97 XLT with the stock front bumper. I'm looking to mount some PIAA 520 (6") fog lamps and I'm looking for ideas for how to attach them to the bumper. I'd prefer not to replace the bumper. Do any companies make a simple "light bar" for mounting aux lights to the front of a Ranger? I do not have factory fog lights or cutouts for them.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
They make this license plate bracket that has spots for aux lights. You can buy it with the lights or without.

I see a lot of lighting kits on the market with no mention of legality, so check your laws in your state of Somewhere. In Va the lights have to be DOT legal and mounted even or below the factory headlights. You can put anything you want anywhere in my state, but on the road the non-legal ones must have temp covers on them to drive on the street.

JW20

Reaction score
They make this license plate bracket that has spots for aux lights. You can buy it with the lights or without.

I see a lot of lighting kits on the market with no mention of legality, so check your laws in your state of Somewhere. In Va the lights have to be DOT legal and mounted even or below the factory headlights. You can put anything you want anywhere in my state, but on the road the non-legal ones must have temp covers on them to drive on the street.
Thanks, yeah I saw something similar but unfortunately that won't work for my application. Good point also...glad someone cares enough to mention that sort of thing. Unfortunately, I live in a state where people drive around with those massive LED light bars on all the time, despite being a violation, and nothing is done about it. We also have a huge problem with people retrofitting HID and LED bulbs into their halogen housings and blinding other drivers. These are DOT approved, fog beam halogen lamps that won't work unless they're mounted vertically, and the closer to the ground the better.

That does give me an idea though, maybe I can just make a bracket out of aluminum channel and bolt it through the holes for the front license plate.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Other than the above or mounting a bull bar, the only other option is drilling through the bumper if you want it bumper mounted. Another option, depending on your grill style, is to mount them behind the grill.

You are correct however. While on road, your off road lights are often required to be covered by state law. That varied state by state but seems to be true more often than not.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have a 04 with a bull bar that works well, I did have to put a bar across the 2 mounting holes to mount a light bar.thumbnail_20190727_145328.jpg

MXGerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

I'll see if this is what my friend is looking for. We'll do the light mods on his new Ranger project after installing the brake pads and tires from 4Wheelonline this week.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
Hey everyone! I have a 97 XLT with the stock front bumper. I'm looking to mount some PIAA 520 (6") fog lamps and I'm looking for ideas for how to attach them to the bumper. I'd prefer not to replace the bumper. Do any companies make a simple "light bar" for mounting aux lights to the front of a Ranger? I do not have factory fog lights or cutouts for them.
Drill em right into the bumper!!!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals