• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AZ Duralast Brake Pad Warning

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I recently replaced the from pads on my 2004. I used the Duralast semi-metallic pads as I didn't want ceramic, and they seemed fine. Recently though I've noticed a bit of pull to the left, and that the left wheel is ever so slightly warm when the right is not. I figured there was a drag issue and went to look today.

I saw that the anti squeal shims had shifted off to one side. Worse, I realized the shims are not big enough. They don't look like the attached picture from their site, they are smaller and even when centered will not bridge across all the outer fingers in the caliper - they only contact the center spar. Once shifted to the side the shim only extends about half way across one of the pistons. All this will cause uneven pressure on the pads, possibly wearing them unevenly, plus side force on the pistons. I tossed the shims. There's no squeal and it brakes nicely.

I'm not totally sure the pull is 100% gone as it didn't always do it (possibly only when warm), and if not I'll have to bleed them.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It’s not just duracrap that’s doing this lately. The wearevers from advanced auto parts have the same issue.

While it may be your issue. I’d be looking closely at the caliper. And also the rubber hose, if the pull persists

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yeah, I'm familiar with the usual suspects for a pull/drag problem and I'll work through them. It is very mild. If it is worse at higher temperatures, air would be the most likely.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I haven't bought a single thing from Autozone since this bulls**t happened: https://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/12/04/autozone-employee-and-veteran-fired-for-using-his-gun-to-ward-off-armed-robber

Agree with me or not, I'm damn proud to admit that Vatozone hasn't gotten a single red cent of my money after firing a veteran that was only trying to do the right thing. My father hasn't spent a dime there either, after my recommendations, and me explaining the issue to him. Any money I can cost them is a win in my book. They fired a good employee right before the holidays for doing the right thing in an emergency. It would have been super easy for the CEO to make an exception for this man, but noooo... Can't do the right thing these days.. Company policies have to come first.

They'll NEVER get a single dollar from me. I'd walk 15 miles before giving them a single penny if my truck broke down.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I haven't bought a single thing from Autozone since this bulls**t happened: https://www.theblaze.com/news/2012/12/04/autozone-employee-and-veteran-fired-for-using-his-gun-to-ward-off-armed-robber

Agree with me or not, I'm damn proud to admit that Vatozone hasn't gotten a single red cent of my money after firing a veteran that was only trying to do the right thing. My father hasn't spent a dime there either, after my recommendations, and me explaining the issue to him. Any money I can cost them is a win in my book. They fired a good employee right before the holidays for doing the right thing in an emergency. It would have been super easy for the CEO to make an exception for this man, but noooo... Can't do the right thing these days.. Company policies have to come first.

They'll NEVER get a single dollar from me. I'd walk 15 miles before giving them a single penny if my truck broke down.
Hadn't heard about that. I'm more concerned about the chain stores driving local businesses under. If that were a locally owned store the owner could have decided how to react to that situation, likely with different results. Next, even the local chain stores will be driven out, and your parts will be in some giant warehouse, located by some inventory system and delivered after you order online. These centralized systems are far less robust, so when they fail there will be no local distribution of goods at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals