• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 4.0 Swap... Project Edgar!!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys!! Been looking on here for a while and I really enjoy all the build threads so I figured I'd post my own!! My plans for this truck are, 4.0 swap, m50 and BW 1354 swap, d35 and 8.8 swap, 4" suspension lift 33"? tires, refresh interior, new paint. I plan on using this as my DD/weekend camping/fishing/hunting/boating rig. Also, being that I will be moving into an apartment for school in August, all these modifications are gonna be done during my breaks, when I can get home to my garage to do stuff...

So a couple weeks after buying my my B2 it cracks a head (my fault for not checking the coolant before the 50 mile trip back home) I just figured whoever owned it would make sure it had coolant in it... Dumb mistake... anywho it gives me the chance to put in a 4.0, but I really don't have the funds to swap in an M50 right now. So, what I'm going to do is just ride the old FM146 for a while (or until it blows up) and save up the money to get a M50 for it. So far I've got the old 2.9 pulled and ready to go pick up my gently used 4.0 (79k miles, $400) :) I know the local salvage yard has radiator and all the other parts I need to make my 4.0 run (they tried selling me a 4.0 with almost 300k on it).

I have two questions.
1. What would be the best thing to do for my transmission so that it doesn't explode prematurely (I need it to last at least until the middle of October) I know to be easy and not beat on it, and it will probably only be driven 5-10 miles a week, then about 150 highway miles every other weekend to get home and back. Since the motor is out right now I already planned on replacing the throwout bearing, and maybe the slave cylinder... anything else I should do? I also have the clutch from a 4.0 to use on it...
2. What do ya'll recommend doing with the old 2.9. I want to get as much money out of it as possible... Should I part it out and sell whatever I can off of it, or would it be best just to sell it for scrap?

I'll have pictures up tomorrow morning...

Thanks for looking!!!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be weary of the old FM behind a 4.0. It won't take too much abuse from the 4.0, but you should be ok with "light duty" driving. A M5Od should be swapped in a.s.a.p.

As for the 2.9, depends on whether you find someone who thinks it's worth something or not. With the head being cracked, chances are slim. It may be better off junked, and melted down to form something useful again....

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I really wish I had the dough to swap in the M50d with my 4.0, but I just won't be able to come up with it until probably October, and with school starting back in August I really won't have a place to work unless I drive 75 miles back home... I was hoping by just taking it easy and driving as little as possible I could make it last until then... I won't be doing any off-roading or towing with it of course...

I figured melting up the old 2.9 was the best way to go... I don't see too many people wanting to buy an engine that's already broke, lol... I'll be making my trip this weekend to get my new engine... I'm going to put up all the accessories for sale if I don't need them (they all work on the 4.0) that should help me make some of my money back...

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
1)don't dump the clutch
2)try and stay out of 5th up hills
3)put in some fresh gl-4(not gl-5,the syncros don't like it) 80-90w

4) good luck with the swap:icon_cheers:

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your '89 will be a fairly easy swap.

I completed the 4.0 swap in my '89 Ranger last year.

Totally worth it!

I'm sure it rock in a BII!

If you would like, I can send you my wiring diagram that I used for the swap.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I'd appreciate that a ton if I could get your wiring diagram. I'll have some pics and stuff up soon... Busy, busy the last couple days, lol...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so my school plans have changed and I'll probably be staying here till winter. Which means I'll have about $4k and an engine-less BII... What I'm looking at is either 4.0, 5.0, or 5.8 swap. From what I've read 4.0 will be the easiest and cheapest and 5.8 will be the hardest but about the same $ as a 5.0 swap... I'm just kinda looking for everyone's opinion here... I've got about $4k and 6 months to finish.

On a note that actually puts progress into this project, I'm going to pick up a parts 'Sploder with a blown engine for my 8.8 and D35 swap this week...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That looks like what I'm going to be doing just because of the complexity of the other two choices... From what I've been reading any V8 swap is alot harder with a manual tranny and I won't drive an auto...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals