• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Power steering done and filled with fluid and air filter is all in and connected to the snorkel finally. Time to tame medusa's head of wires tomorrow!

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
:popcorn: nice. Just sitting over here waiting for boost numbers and cruise EGT numbers.

Hey I had my PCV hooked up like you have but felt like it was pulling in way to much crank case oil vapor as the intake tube was coated. Is there some kind of restrictor in line there I caint see? Or is it of no concern and Im just gas engine guy worried about nothing?

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
:popcorn: nice. Just sitting over here waiting for boost numbers and cruise EGT numbers.

Hey I had my PCV hooked up like you have but felt like it was pulling in way to much crank case oil vapor as the intake tube was coated. Is there some kind of restrictor in line there I caint see? Or is it of no concern and Im just gas engine guy worried about nothing?
Hopefully I'll have some numbers later this week :).

You're worried about nothing :D. There's no restrictor in the pcv line from the factory, all the baffling to condense oil vapor is in the valve cover. A coating of oil on the inside of the charge pipes (or anywhere past the pcv inlet for that matter) is totally normal. I'd run an atmosphere vent, but I off road with this truck quite a bit and don't want to take any chances getting water in there.

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:beer: :icon_bounceblue:

That is awesome Matt!

Looking forward to the trailer tug. :popcorn:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Congratulations!

Eric B

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hopefully I'll have some numbers later this week :).

You're worried about nothing :D. There's no restrictor in the pcv line from the factory, all the baffling to condense oil vapor is in the valve cover. A coating of oil on the inside of the charge pipes (or anywhere past the pcv inlet for that matter) is totally normal. I'd run an atmosphere vent, but I off road with this truck quite a bit and don't want to take any chances getting water in there.
Congrats on getting it running! :popcorn: So I caint tell is the MAF hiding in the filter housing? Or you running SD? I am running SD but I see most swaps running the MAF.

And thanks for the input I hooked my PCV back up to the intake pipe.:icon_thumby:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Congrats on getting it running! :popcorn: So I caint tell is the MAF hiding in the filter housing? Or you running SD? I am running SD but I see most swaps running the MAF.

And thanks for the input I hooked my PCV back up to the intake pipe.:icon_thumby:
I'm running speed density. Im not a big fan of maf's in high performance applications, always run into sensor limitations.

On the maiden voyage to town today, I saw no more than 785°F egts, 40psi total and 16psi from the LP turbo. Roads were snow covered and it had no problem spinning all 4 tires in 4th gear at 40mph LOL. Didn't get to hit wot due to the roads, but I think I need to put a lighter spring in my external gate.

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm running speed density. Im not a big fan of maf's in high performance applications, always run into sensor limitations.

On the maiden voyage to town today, I saw no more than 785°F egts, 40psi total and 16psi from the LP turbo. Roads were snow covered and it had no problem spinning all 4 tires in 4th gear at 40mph LOL. Didn't get to hit wot due to the roads, but I think I need to put a lighter spring in my external gate.

Thats awesome! your EGT probe is at the manifold collector correct? Any hwy speed sustained numbers? on my little bv43a with tiny intercooler I see 1200-1300*F 10-12psi regularly on any slight uphill grade at 70mph. flat ground its around 950*F. Probe is in the port of the bv43a.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thats awesome! your EGT probe is at the manifold collector correct? Any hwy speed sustained numbers? on my little bv43a with tiny intercooler I see 1200-1300*F 10-12psi regularly on any slight uphill grade at 70mph. flat ground its around 950*F. Probe is in the port of the bv43a.
Yes, my probe is pre-turbo. Not yet, needed a retune to get past a light throttle/low load overboost limp mode issue. Basically my compounds are making way more boost than ecu was expecting so it would go into overboost protection limp mode. But just got a new file from my tuner a few minutes ago so I'll try it tomorrow.

Here's the gas pedal bracket that was a major PITA

All wrapped up under here minus ac lines

Out in the wild!

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have 500 miles in the truck so far! Boost is currently 38psi total, 20psi on low pressure stage. Trying to find a high hz solenoid that will work with vw ecu so I can get boost up to 50-55psi. Towing a bmw 135i on my 20' aluminum car hauler was perfect; 950-1150° egt's and 25-35psi of boost depending on grade in 4th gear at 65mph and 2800rpm.

Since this guy is 100% rust free, I wanted to keep it that way so a whole gallon of fluid film went on the underside and basically everywhere salt spray would hit.

I took the truck on a 6 hour round trip on Monday and it started running funny on the way back. Didn't hear any funny noises so I figured an injector solenoid just took a crap. Upon inspection, I wish it was only the solenoid :icon_surprised:. In 10 years of professionally working on euro diesels, this is a new one on me.

I was planning on upgrading injectors eventually, but certainly not this quickly :annoyed:. I have a set of 20% over injectors on they way that will be here on Saturday if usps holds to tracking info. I tossed in a set of stock jetta injectors I had laying around so the truck is at least mobile, but it's no fun anymore with no fuel haha (passat engine I used was 135hp stock vs jetta that was 100hp).

Last edited:

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice looking swap Matt.

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I like those EGT numbers.

Wow so im not familiar with the common rail stuff. am I looking at a destroyed tapped that rides on top of the injector? or is that the spring retainer? either way strange failure.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
That is not common rail, its an unit injection injector, a !higher pressure design kind of the last evolution of diesel before common became common.

They don't normally look like that; sacrifice to the gods of speed and power

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals