• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That is not common rail, its an unit injection injector, a !higher pressure design kind of the last evolution of diesel before common became common.

They don't normally look like that; sacrifice to the gods of speed and power
Thats cool. didnt know that it was a half breed before everything went common rail.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thats cool. didnt know that it was a half breed before everything went common rail.
Unit injection is hardly half breed, it's been around since Detroit Diesel perfected them in the 30's. 95% of electronically controlled over the road trucks from the last 20 years use unit injectors. Just recently have they begun switching to common rail systems. Unit injection is unusual in passenger vehicles though and VW is the only one to use it as far as I know. The main benefit is that they produce 30,000psi injection pressure at all rpms. Any positive displacement pump's (bosch VE rotary, bosch P/M/W inline) output pressure is proportional to RPM, so they have lower injection pressure at idle and low rpm.

So as it turns out talking about injectors, after the one came apart on me, the new set of 120% over had a stuck solenoid on one injector and it didn't deliver any fuel. Hopefully I'll have the new set of big ones early next week and I can get these baby injectors out of here :yahoo:

Last edited:

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well dang Im learning all kinds of stuff today. I like it. Im keeping my eye out for dirt cheap BHWs after doing a little reading. The HP potential looks worth it to me for the next project.:icon_thumby:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
This thread has me itching for a BHW instead of an ALH. I'm not going for a lot of power just a good tuned stocker. I don't need power for what I use my grocery getter for. Besides, it's a standard cab flareside truck so anything more than the 2.5 is going to feel like a power horse. My plan has been to use G2D adapter since seeing his build on TDIclub forum. Good to see another build using his parts.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nice. 50+psi is no joke. :headbang:
Getting there :). Truck is lots more fun than it ever was with the 3.slow.

As much as I hate to buy fabricated things from other places, I picked up a bumper from Affordable Offroad. Build quality is extremely nice to my pleasant surprise. For $430 to my door, there's no way I could've built it for that. I have much more pressing ways to spend 2 days of :icon_welder: time currently.

Last edited:

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Man I dont blame you on the bumper. Thats a great price. Wish they made a similar for my Dakota. I made CAD (cardboard assisted design) template and had the puzzle pieces cut out for me. I have $50 in it so far but I bet it will take me a full weekend to weld it all together and I dont see a free weekend anytime soon.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Getting there :). Truck is lots more fun than it ever was with the 3.slow.

As much as I hate to buy fabricated things from other places, I picked up a bumper from Affordable Offroad. Build quality is extremely nice to my pleasant surprise. For $430 to my door, there's no way I could've built it for that. I have much more pressing ways to spend 2 days of :icon_welder: time currently.

What's the thickness of that plate? It looks like 3/16 or 1/4.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
What's the thickness of that plate? It looks like 3/16 or 1/4.
The mount plates are 1/4", rest of mid section of bumper is 3/16", and wings are 1/8". Cool part about it being multi piece is if I ever wreck a part, it's an off the shelf item that I don't have to build from scratch again.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what kind of mpg? bumper looks like a nice piece...

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
what kind of mpg? bumper looks like a nice piece...
So far in northern michigan winter, almost always in 4wd, lots of WOT datalogging, lots of playing around on the trails regularly, and no real effort to conserve fuel, my worst has been 21mpg. Average seems to be about 25mpg when my foot isn't too heavy so far. I bet once spring rolls around and I get some summer fuel, can unlock hubs, and no more -15F cold starts, I'll see 27-30mpg. I'm perfectly happy with that for a truck on 32" e range tires and ~200hp/400lbft.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The mount plates are 1/4", rest of mid section of bumper is 3/16", and wings are 1/8". Cool part about it being multi piece is if I ever wreck a part, it's an off the shelf item that I don't have to build from scratch again.
Thanks. I have debated on building my own from 1/4 and 3/16 or just buying a bumper. I really don't need a heavy bumper. Wildlife running across the road would be the only real reason for me to have a solid front bumper. I don't need a winch because I don't go off-road except fire trails and forest service roads. I'll use a hitch mounted winch for an emergency extraction. I'm palnning a front hitch for other uses. The hitch mount winch will come in useful for loading stuff on my trailer.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So far in northern michigan winter, almost always in 4wd, lots of WOT datalogging, lots of playing around on the trails regularly, and no real effort to conserve fuel, my worst has been 21mpg. Average seems to be about 25mpg when my foot isn't too heavy so far. I bet once spring rolls around and I get some summer fuel, can unlock hubs, and no more -15F cold starts, I'll see 27-30mpg. I'm perfectly happy with that for a truck on 32" e range tires and ~200hp/400lbft.
sounds perfect:icon_thumby:. I get 13-17 this time of year....but that thing don't like to start under 0 deg. it wants to be plugged in. starter is whipped and the wires need cleaned up.

with the gas engine it would be 8-10mpg in the same conditions...35-37 tires and 4.10's. idling away...

I am confident you will run into the 30's easily...I suspect I would stay 19-21 hiway if I had a turbo.

what kind of life are you expecting out of the unknown junkyard rescue at this power level? 200 whp and 400 wtq is the expectation correct?

in a truck application towing cars around... the belt keeps me shy of them. but there are a few guys making power reliably.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
What kind of life are you expecting out of the unknown junkyard rescue at this power level? 200 whp and 400 wtq is the expectation correct?

in a truck application towing cars around... the belt keeps me shy of them. but there are a few guys making power reliably.
The bottom end will hold the power just fine for another 100+kmi, that's why I specifically used a 04-05 passat motor as they're the strongest built 4 cyl tdi ever sold in the US. Keep good oil in it and don't exceed reasonable egts/coolant temp/oil temp and I'm not remotely worried about the motor long term. I'm more worried about the ranger input shaft than anything else. If I snap it, I'll switch to a gm or jeep adapter and run a nv3550 or even an nv4500 if it would fit.

Yes, I've built enough tdi's that with the current fuel and boost levels, it's right about 200whp/380-400wtq. I can slip the 435tq rated clutch below 2200rpm in 4th or 5th if I push the boost needle past 40psi :D.

The belt is nothing to be afraid of. It's a massive belt on the 04-06 motors. Very simple setup that takes literally 35 mins to change. Interval is 100kmi and kit is only $180. So even if you do it every 60-70kmi, its still not expensive. In 10+ years of professionally working on euro diesels, the only belts I've ever seen fail are ones with over 150+kmi on a 12+ year old car that has never been changed. Even then, I've only seen two that failed in those circumstances. I've never seen a properly installed belt fail before the specified interval.

Got the bumper on this morning, looks much better! I have a used mile marker 10k hydraulic winch on the way, should be here next week sometime.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals