• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Slave Cylinder?

crowe47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the way. I would like to join the others and encourage you to replace both master and slave at the same time. Get a pre-filled system. The one I used is working flawlessly. I didn't have to bleed anything.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
What prefilled system would you recommend for my 1998 ranger 4.0/4x4. I have purchased from NAPA a Luk clutch kit ($200 after 20% AAA discount), pilot bearing and rear main seal and been told by very busy local repair shop that Sachs slave and master cylinder would be best combination with Luk clutch kit for my truck. Their repair quote of $1500 includes charge to bleed system, master cylinder and clutch assembly with flywheel resurfacing and additional $100 for new flywheel if needed. Apparently they do not prefer installing prefilled systems. Other shops are quoting around $1400-1500 for parts and labor.I will either let my long-time mechanic's shop install clutch kit, slave cylinder and master cylinder and new flywheel for $800 labor and I supply parts. Other option is my daughter's neighbor will do install in his garage - have not yet discussed what he would charge, but am confident he will not charge $800. He and his dad have replaced engine in his 1967 Mustang and totally restored his Chevy Nova. He said he would not take transmission out completely when I told him that mechanics at repair shops, including my mechanic, have told me that replacing clutch on 4 X 4 Rangers is tuff job due to transfer case, etc. Truck has been sitting for almost 2 months now and I need to get it running again, even though it does sit in driveway most of the time anyway. If I had not recently redone front suspension, new shocks and precat sensors, I probably would just sell it. So far no interest from anyone to buy it with clutch problem or wants me to give it away. Had it since new and with only 118,000 miles and overall interior and exterior are in good shape. My luck will be after replacing clutch, some other major repair, like A/C condensor, will hit me!! Thanks in advance for any input on my problem.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Doing a clutch on a Ranger is virtually impossible with the trans in the truck. You can't pull it back far enough to get things apart, it has to come out.

I never do the prefilled master cylinders. They're 3-4x the cost and you just get an extra hose. And it's not hard to bench bleed them.

crowe47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By the way. I would like to join the others and encourage you to replace both master and slave at the same time. Get a pre-filled system. The one I used is working flawlessly. I didn't have to bleed anything.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!
What pre-filled system would you recommend? For my 1998 ranger 4.0/4WD I purchased a Luk clutch from NAPA for $200 after 20% AAA discount and been told by local repair shop that Sachs slave and master cylinder would be best combination with Luk clutch kit for my truck. Their repair quote of $1500 included $100 to bleed systems.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals