• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad trans noise

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
I swapped in an explorer 8.8 with 4.88 gears into my ranger and now i have some problems.

In 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear nothing seems different but when i get into 4th there is a sound when i let off the gas and coast still in gear. In 5th the sound is always present when in gear accel and decel. If i coast in neutral it goes away.

I am certain i got the pinion angle correct, but if it sounds like i didnt let me know because its my DD and i need to try to correct the problem.

I know next to nothing about transmissions so any and all help is appreciated.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the noise is present in 4th, chances are good that it's not the transmission.

Being that the Ex rearend is the newcomer here, I'd be looking that over real good.

Poor pinion angle usually manifests itself as a shaking vibration at low speed, and/or a low-frequency hum at higher speed. Is that about what you have?

fordbrian333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im assuming this is a manual trans? which would rule out the trans problem like 4x4 junkie said because 4th is a direct drive gear, this may sound weird but make sure your reaer endis in there tight, when you let off the gas and the axle tilts fowards it could bechange your drive angles, and putting too much load on your hanger bearing, that sound will also happen on and off when you exelerate and decelerate if your back lash is too loose, or if the caps on your carrier bearings are loose, when you decel the carrier can shift and whine, but when you put a load back on it, it can move back and the noise go away (we had to do a recal on silverados for having this problem)..but thats just my 2 cents

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
Ya its a manual and no there is no vibration and the noise its making is a higher frequency. It sounds like its more like what fordbrian333 said.

So what should i go about doing to remedy the problem?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals