• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Becoming a better welder...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Oooo, I like that little Century. That would be super handy for small jobs outdoors. Now to find one in a pawn shop...
After welding with a nice digital miller for 10+ years, it seems a little toy-ish, but definitely good for outdoor conditions. I have no shop or garage :cry:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've had a Miller 185 MIG for about 20 years. It's been a great versatile machine. I too wouldn't trust any of HF's boxes for the reasons said earlier.

As I've gotten older, I have started using cheap reading glasses while welding. They do help immensely for sure. Since you already wear glasses, like was said earlier, a different power that is optimized for closer-up viewing might be the ticket.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So... at this point in life I'm not looking for a career as a welder. In fact... I'm taking steps to work myself into early retirement in northern Michigan. However... I want to add being a proficient welder to my skill set... and need some equipment to complete my retirement workshop. I bought my first welder at age 18... I'm now 56. I bought a Lincoln 225 used from an ad in the local newspaper for $100... and that old welder still performs weekly welding duties on dump trucks.... heavy equipment... dumpsters and hammers on an industrial tub grinder. So I get the... "they don't build them like they use to" debate.

Scott.... If I could find a deal like you got... it would already be plugged in running wire through it. I even went to two of HF's parking lot sales this month... nothing. The reviews look good and people say they perform well. I just think the jury is still out for the long haul on these machines. Couple that to repair parts being not so available... I just couldn't leave with one at the regular price.

BlackBII... you are proof that it isn't the price or brand of the machine... technique and knowing the machine will always be king.

Floored... Thinking back... nearly all of my attempts at laying a good bead were in a dimly lit pole barn setting. I will try throwing a bunch of light at the subject and try that. I do actually have dedicated prescription single vision reading glasses that I had made to tie flies with. They are always at my office next to my fly tying vice. They have a pretty good usable range and I already planned on trying those.

Bird... I here you loud and clear. It's the biggest reason there isn't a 110 machine in my garage right now. To do it right and have only one welder it should run on 220. I already have 220 in the garage... seems like a no brainer. You also said it has to weld a minimum of 1/4"... and I agree. That would get me through all of my short term goals and still do probably 80% of anything I would do in the future. That said... The Hobart 140 advertises up to 1/4"... understood that it is at the upper limits of it's capability. According to the video you posted Hobarts parent company is out of Chicago... and they own Miller. I also seen where they are built in Wisconsin. I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place with this,,, once I buy a welder... I still need to spend more on a filled tank,,, consumables... cart... and I'm already $80 into a new hood. I'm not sure I want to press the wife for a bigger budget. I'm not opposed to buying a second upgraded 220 welder in the future if I can get comfortable with the entire process. I do wonder why you don't like the dual voltage machines?

Dirtman... I'm gonna accept your offer... with a couple conditions. First... after I gain some knowledge from your books... I'm gonna pass them on to the next guy on here that wants to gain some welding knowledge with the understanding that they too pass them on at some point. Second... I know you fish just not sure what you fish for. But I tie some pretty nice flies and if you don't fly fish... I tie some dressed trebles that work well on spoons and hard baits. I also tie some jig heads with leech or minnow patterns. To repay your kindness... I send you back some of my hand tied goodies.

Blackwidow... I was really close to walking out of my local Rural King store with the Hobart 140 you have and recommended when I bought my new hood. The place is 3 miles from home and they are pretty well stocked for anything I would need for it. I do believe they are also an authorized repair facility. I have no doubt that a welder by trade would love a welder that didn't perform... your comments helped make my decision.

I'm gonna use my Dick Cepeck tire rebate to knock a $100 off the $479 price tag and then drop probably $300 on welding stuff and on my $1000 budget that leaves me about $300 to buy steel. Then I'm gonna take my half blind self to the garage and see if I can run a damn acceptable bead.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The main difference between the smaller Miller and Hobart welders is the AutoSet feature. I really see it as a gimmick - it works OK and I have used it quite a bit just for experimentation purposes but manual adjustment works better. Millers also have infinitely adjustable wire speed and more importantly, voltage - this feature is absolutely worth paying more for, but they all should come with it. It was sometimes hard to find a happy medium with my old machines between too hot and too cold.

You already have 220v power so there's no reason to buy a 110v machine. Seriously. Unless you want to run it off a generator in the pasture or something.

Having been in your situation and having tried to weld 1/4 steel with a 110v machine, I really think you should reconsider. If you're stuck on Hobart (nothing wrong with that) then the Handler 190 is a MUCH better option. You can run flux core for now and get a gas bottle later if you want.

Just sayin. 1/8" steel is a realistic, single pass expectation of a 110v welder. Anything thicker, no way, especially if it's a structural piece. I had a catastrophic failure of a track bar bracket I built with a 110v welder and 3/16 plate - I thought it was OK and after examining the broken piece, I really had very little penetration. Never again.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Rural King just had a special today on a Hobart 210MVP. It was several hundred off. Also, don't bother renting gas bottles from a company like Gano or ILMO. It's a complete ripoff.

Spend a little more money up front at your local Rural King. They have a bottle purchase program where you buy the bottle size you can afford, and the gas costs very little. Then, when you run out, you just exchange the bottle for a full one, and you only pay for the contents (gas) - again, go as large as your budget allows in this area, because there's nothing worse than running out of gas halfway through a project because you bought a tiny bottle.

You may be able to find a gas bottle locally on Craigslist or other website for cheap, and use that to turn in to Rural King for the trade-in program. My father did that and saved himself almost $200 in the process. Check the bottle prices at Rural King first though, so you know you're not over-paying someone for their used bottle, and ask Rural King the specifics of their program. My local stores aren't picky about the bottles as long as they're not marked ILMO or GANO. Some people just spray paint over the logo, but I wouldn't try it myself due to legality issues.

As for your wife, I don't have that problem, but I know guys that justify the more expensive purchase by saying they only have to buy the more expensive model once, where if they buy a small unit and it sucks, then they have to get a larger unit later on. Same with the gas exchange program. Paying rent to ILMO on your bottles sucks, and it's a constant reminder to the wife. Have a chat with her about it. Make a pros/cons list.

Once you have a welder you'll learn one thing quickly. All of your neighbors, your wife, your friends, everyone, will suddenly have little projects that need repaired. Lawn chairs, plant hangers, lawn mower decks, shovels, mailbox posts, swing-sets, etc. You can make some quick beer money or help pay for your hobbies if you're clever and can make good quality repairs. Plus you can repair the wife's broken nick-nacks/yard art and make her neat projects for special occasions and the like..

Keep in mind, you may not have to buy steel for practicing your welds or for small projects. Check with local farmers, scrap or salvage yards, or recycling centers, and tell them what you're looking for. Just some small pieces for as close to free as possible, just to practice your welding with. In my experience 99% of the time people will give you steel for free if you're straight up with them about what you want to do with it. It never hurts to ask someone.. The worst they can say is no, or they'll want to charge you a small fee.

I made these yard art harrow wheel sunflowers (from farm scrap) to donate to a local auction to raise money for a veterans memorial last year. (someone else made the wine bottle tree thing lol) They sold for between $40 and $45 each, so not too shabby.

thumbnail.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
For pete's sake...

I'm just so ready to buy a damn welder I can't stand myself.

Shran... Bird... You guys are right. I just need to breath! Hold off and just buy the 220V machine. I don't have a preference in brand... I just want a good machine that will last and has service parts available if it ever fails. I will just watch for a sale and buy the right one once. I was all over rural kings website when I seen birds post about the 210mvp sale. I couldn't find it...

Now for the wife... I made her her favorite for dinner and we sat down to eat. She always makes sure I have everything I need... and most everything I want. We have a deal... She loves scratch off lottery tickets and I never say a word about what she spends on it. But... if she wins $100 or better on a ticket... she splits it with me. So while eating rigatoni... garlic bread and salad I bring up the fact that I may have underestimated what I need to get my welder. She got up from the table... walked to the counter and pulled a lottery ticket out of her purse and handed it to me. I look it over quietly... $700 winner! So it looks like my welder/truck budget grew by $350! She then asked... will that cover the cost? God I love her!

Bird... I love my local rural king. We bought one of their Amish sheds... my dewalt kit... my stihl weed wacker and several FOID items. I also buy all our coffee and a list of other things there. I've never had any issues with them... ever. I will be looking at their bottle exchange program for sure.

I'm just gonna catch my breath and watch for a good sale... I really want my cash to stretch as far as I can get it ti stretch.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep this in mind too;
You want to make sure you have local support for contact tips, liners and nozzles and other things that go bump in the night.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I totally agree floored... that is huge.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The welder on sale at Rural King wasn't part of any advertised online sale. They do that pretty often at Rural King. Sometimes they'll have a discontinued model or a display model, etc.. and they'll discount it heavily to move it out the door. You just have to visit the store to find those deals.

Like yesterday, they had 5 full buckets of broadheads and other bow hunting stuff marked down heavily, along with tons of fishing gear and other stuff. I scored a pair of winter long johns, made in the USA, for $6. They normally cost me around $18 a pair, so not too shabby. It was a sidewalk type of sale. Not really advertised online.

As for consumables, I don't worry so much about finding them locally. Especially when I can buy them online in bulk and pay far less per piece. I get consumables for my plasma cutter online for about 40% of the local cost, so I just buy them in bulk, especially if I see a sale going on online..

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Keep this in mind too;
You want to make sure you have local support for contact tips, liners and nozzles and other things that go bump in the night.
While I get all my supplies from my local dealer since I go through a ton of consumables, any brand name machine (or machine that uses common brand parts) will have parts availability on that there interweb. I've often found great deals on bulk cases of tungsten, or other consumables on amazon, ebay, or just online welding stores.

Obviously the interweb aint gonna get you a part the same day (well sometimes amazon does) its good practice to keep your consumables stocked up. And if your MIG welding (which I rarely do anymore) embrace the glory that is nozzle dip and you'd be amazed how much longer your tips and nozzles will last.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So... I bought a welder. I found an open box deal on a Hobart Handler 140 at my local Rural King that was WAY to good... and I couldn't leave it there. I was holding out for a deal on a 220 volt machine but this was cheap enough that it will only sting half the cost of a new one... and it came with a hobart cart for....... FREE. Has a full factory warranty to boot. No way I could go wrong in my eyes.

Just drinking coffee like a kid on Christmas morning... gonna clean up the garage a bit... then I'm gonna get my weld on...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I learned on a old Lincoln 225 stick welder, ive used miller tig & mig machines both at places I’ve worked. Love the auto-darkening helmets, so much better than the flip-sheid fronts from back in the day. Most anything I weld is heavy enough steel that the arc welder does fine. If I did sheet metal or exhaust work I’d want a mig. The Lincoln 225 I use is older than I am, I’m not even sure how old it is, has the amparage switch , not the crank ( which wouldn’t be bad if you needed to be between 2 standard settings ) I don’t recall what model of mig/tig units I’ve used, just that they were miller. The tig I used as a repair welder with stainless steel on manifolds and catalytic converters. Didn’t like that job much. Welding projects are generally fun, welding every day in a mass production environment- not so much.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
So... I bought a welder. I found an open box deal on a Hobart Handler 140 at my local Rural King that was WAY to good... and I couldn't leave it there. I was holding out for a deal on a 220 volt machine but this was cheap enough that it will only sting half the cost of a new one... and it came with a hobart cart for....... FREE. Has a full factory warranty to boot. No way I could go wrong in my eyes.

Just drinking coffee like a kid on Christmas morning... gonna clean up the garage a bit... then I'm gonna get my weld on...
Now you need to find yourself a couple small welding jobs someone needs done. Make yourself a little money with that welder and start saving it to go towards a larger model.

The only problem with everyone knowing you own a welder is that everyone will want something welded for free. People fail to realize how expensive it can be to operate a welder..

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Bird... I didn't even have it unloaded before the neighbor walked over and said... wow... maybe I can get you to weld a couple things for me.

He already brought the stuff over... he does let me borrow his pressure washer and I need to again in the next week or two before I paint the trim and shutters on the house. So this one is simply for practice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals