• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best stick shift (the actual shifter) for M5R1 into 87 Ranger 2.9?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got my M5R1 tranny and BW1350 tcase ready to install in my 87 Ranger SuperCab with 2.9 and 60/40 split bench. Went to wreckers yesterday and they have a bunch of sticks and boots (all missing the pinch bolt! dipsh!ts) and none appear to be a 4x4 version with manual tcase, as the boot is just a single boot, no plate, double boot, etc. Been lookin at pick n pulls, but no manuals with this tranny...all already pulled by some other lucky bastid....lol...and I'm running out of daylight and warm weather. :shout: All the shifters they had were either not labelled, or labeled 1999 or newer. The unlabeled ones looked very similiar. Some were really long, almost twice the length of the one that was labelled 1999 Ranger 4.0 (from an Aerostar?) Some had a slightly different angle on the mount boss too.

What is the best stick shift (the actual shifter), boots, mounting plate etc. for M5R1 into 87 Ranger 2.9?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If the "key" groove that the LITTLE pin up inside the shift lever
in your stub lever is at the front of your stub lever
then the shift lever you need is from an '88-97. it uses a retaining bolt
that goes front to back.

The '98-up shift lever has a different casting at the base and the
bolt goes side to side across the front.

BTW, the really LONG levers you are describing are more likely off of an F-150.
Though Aerostars use the same '87-96 F-series lever manual trans Aerostars
are quite rare.

AD

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My groove for the pin is on the right side and the flat is towards the front on my tranny, but have heard that if I unbolt the top three little bolts and pull the shifter out that it can be rotated 180 degrees and bolted back on. Guess I have a 98 up case/shifter assy. It has metal freeze plug style not the rubber shift rail plugs.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
since you don't have many choices you could heat and bend the shifter you get til it fits.a shorter shifter will have less throw/quicker shifting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals