• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Way to rid rust on frame?

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
dont get the spray can version from duplicolor...ive worked in a body shop for the last 4 years and if your gonna use a product out of a rattle can use the brand SEM may be a little bit more expensive but ive never had any problems with that brand
Where is that readily available? Also, anyone know a good place to buy a cheap sandblasting gun and sand? Harbor Freight maybe?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
yeah harbor freight would sell it.. tractor supply... if your going to harbor freight i would suggest checking out the needle scalers.. they get rid of the really heavy flaky rust an work AWESOME!

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
yeah harbor freight would sell it.. tractor supply... if your going to harbor freight i would suggest checking out the needle scalers.. they get rid of the really heavy flaky rust an work AWESOME!
Sweet I'll check that out, thanks.

I am currently trying to preserve my 79 cj, and anyone who has ever owned any AMC knows what I am dealing with!

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry for the late reply PM me next time if you need it asap. i lost track of what threads i have posted in. any decent Auto body supply store would have it in stock. Also your gonna want to paint over the Self Etch with a enamel atleast to keep that barrier and hell for looks as well. Go with the SEM trim black *never mix brands if avoidable*(many many household and garage uses with that shit) 2 wet coats with no runs. Do it all in the same day you do the etching primer for best results.

REMEMBER IT ALL HAS TO BE SCUFFED UP IN ORDER FOR THE PRIMER TO HOLD ON TO THE METAL! the trim black just spray on after primer is dry

sandblasting gun harbor freight.

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BTW dont go any lower than like 80 grit for the main parts 60 if its really stubborn or thick.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Cool that's all the info I needed bro, thanks

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Well, I found something that works pretty good. Wet sanding with emory cloth works very well. Looked into the sandblasters, don't think my air compressor can handle them. Plus the Harbor Freight guys pissed me off. As to painting, I am going to rattlecan the frame. Primer first, then flat black. Couple of coats of each with the krylon. Then I think I will rough that up with an abrasive pad and put a couple of coats of herculiner over that. By the way, I am speaking of the jeep cj5. I am perfecting my method with it, then I plan to do my ranger. All I can say is that I am glad that I live in New Mexico, we have to be about the best state for low oxidation. I don't know what you all know about jeeps, but the fact that the factory original gas tank skid plate just has a little surface rust is AMAZING for a beat up 1979 amc. My jeep will be worth a lot someday just because of that.(Especially when I get done restoring it!!) Most of the originals probably were gone by the early 90's.

Anyone had any experience putting do-it-yourself bedliner on a frame?

raiper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not me but its prolly gonna be sticky, smelly and messy...just a hunch

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
not me but its prolly gonna be sticky, smelly and messy...just a hunch
I have used it before, just not on a frame. I am wondering more of it's sticking ability to the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals