• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Better Late Then Never

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright well, I've been stankin up the general discussions forum for a while now with all of my 4wd swap nonsense, so i figured i would start a build thread. Plus i think it would be pretty cool to keep track of the progress.

I started taking pictures a little late, but really all that was missed was disassembly (cutting/unbolting shit, and LOTS of cursing and frustration).

Basically, the story starts with my 89 302/C6 2wd ranger. I blew the trans (was rushing tossing in a filter and ended up with a little pan leak, never fixed it and forgot about it) and the motor was a complete hunk of crap (not worth putting another trans on). instead of screwing around with another v8 setup, since I needed the truck SOON to haul my quads and dirtbikes to races, I originally planned on just getting another 2.9 and tossing it in (i preserved all the original efi wiring THANK GOD) along with my old 2wd a4ld that I never managed to sell. But, I ended up getting an entire 91 D354wd/2.9/m5 truck off of another forum member (markraftco).

heres a few pics of the donor:

a very nice truck that's straight as an arrow and runs like a top (only 115k on it) for only $425. only problem is it's hard to get into reverse and the rust is just plain scary.

Now, I'm doing the dreaded 4wd crossmember swap that everyone says isnt worth it :thefinger:

here's a few pics of recent progress:

out with the old

...and in with the new!

mock up:

i chewed up alot of material cutting the welds on the xmember so i had to make these little plates:

all welded up, reinforced, painted, and bolted with grade 8 hardware:

lots and lots and lots of goodies! and alot more is on it's way! :headbang:

look at the angle of this spring, and tell me if its something to worry about. keep in mind theres no drivetrain in there right now, and the arm is barely compressed (probably within an inch of full droop).

here's where I'm at now, clears that 31 like a little donut! :D

let me know what ya think, any constructive criticism would be good. more updates coming very soon as I'm aiming to be driving this thing within 2 weeks.

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it lifted?

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah 3" BL and 2" coil spacers up front with fx4 springs and factory blocks in the rear. i'm hoping and praying i'll be able to clear 33's when its all done...

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I like the color of your parts truck there. are you parting it out by chance? And I like the fact your swapping your other truck over to 4x4. I personally would have done the same thing despite the extra work. Sometimes the truck means enough to do it to ya know? Where are you in NJ?

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I like the color of your parts truck there. are you parting it out by chance? And I like the fact your swapping your other truck over to 4x4. I personally would have done the same thing despite the extra work. Sometimes the truck means enough to do it to ya know? Where are you in NJ?
im in northern nj, zip 07444. if there's anything you want off the donor truck, let me know. if i havent already snatched it for my black truck (which is nearly everything haha), you're welcome to it.

and yeah everyone says its not worth it, but every once in a while there's an exception, and this is it. my black truck is nearly mint in terms of rust, and I already have all the parts in front of me to do the swap. its just a matter of doing the work, and while i am a little crunched on time, im gonna make it happen.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I have thought about doing the very same swap to my 89 and selling my 88. Everyone makes such a big deal about the x member swap, like you said, it really isn't that big of a deal. I am not scared. Glad to see it done with the same attitude! I have been looking for a gen 2 front fenders and hood to make both make my 31's clear (gen 2 fenders = bigger opening than gen 1, don't want to trim them and ruin lines) and update the truck. And sadly after all this time I much prefer the look of the gen 2's.... Very nice work man.

And yeah, I wish you weren't 2 hours away. I would like to get my hands on a few parts.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yeah, I have thought about doing the very same swap to my 89 and selling my 88. Everyone makes such a big deal about the x member swap, like you said, it really isn't that big of a deal. I am not scared. Glad to see it done with the same attitude! I have been looking for a gen 2 front fenders and hood to make both make my 31's clear (gen 2 fenders = bigger opening than gen 1, don't want to trim them and ruin lines) and update the truck. And sadly after all this time I much prefer the look of the gen 2's.... Very nice work man.

And yeah, I wish you weren't 2 hours away. I would like to get my hands on a few parts.
:iamwithstupid:

Its not that bad, its just time consuming because you have to pull the engine.

On a side note, I'm going to be stripping my '90 in a few weeks. You may be interested in some body panels.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah its really not bad at all. a big factor in me deciding to do it was the fact that i would be pulling the entire drivetrain from the red truck to put into the black one. the only part thats a real pain in the ass is cutting the damn welds INSIDE the c-channel, and then getting the plate off that goes behind the steering box and boxes in the frame wasnt much fun either.

otherwise its just lots of unbolting rusted ass fasteners and cutting lots of those damn frame rivets.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and a little update- didnt get anything really picture worthy done today, but i did get alot of important stuff out of the way.

swapped over the manual instrument cluster, manual steering column, clutch/brake pedal assembly, and 4wd speedo cable into the black truck.

now all i gotta do is find that damn transfer case plug on the 2wd truck :dunno: and a few other small things and its ready for the drivetrain :icon_welder:

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
it looks cool , by the way did you use a mig welder to weld the k member back in , and how long do you think it took you to do the k member swap , i plan to do the same swap on my 86 ranger this summer , thanks

Last edited:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah just plain old-school FCAW (stronger than GMAW contrary to popular belief) welder at about 100amps with .035 wire. not pretty but does the job. there's also lots of extra bracing on there.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh i just noticed i never answered you about how long it took lol. honestly, its really tough to say since i've been working on it on and off for many weeks now, but if you had the two trucks side by side in a nice warm garage (i've had to deal with the elements outside), i'd say no more than 3 weeks start to finish.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks , by the way did you use the passenger side frame rail boxing plate off the 4x4 ,i see that all 2wds dont have them and i was woundering if anyone uses it , also are those straps all that you welded in on the crossmember or is there more that i can't see , thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals