• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bird shot

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Any advice? I am wanting to make some .22 LR shotshells.
Since shotshell prices are so outrageous and I can't get any mailed to me, I'll just make my own.

Plans are to pull the lead bullet on a .22 shell and replace with some type of small shot or grit and seal with wax. These are for taking out Tree Rats (squirrels) from about 30 feet.

Reasoning behind this is to limit projectile distance and ricochets because of nearby homes and highways. Also, because I need bird shot to even hit the Damn things!

Since I have no small lead shot I will try some bead blasting beads or some coarse sand. What else could be used for grit? Not worried about barrel erosion or damage because I'll be using an old JC Higgins single shot rifle.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
30ft won't happen, 10-15ft is a stretch
It spreads out very fast and loses velocity just as fast

Make a few and test spreads and penetration at 10ft and then 20ft

Think about a pellet gun, for that distance

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I've read the heavier the grains, the less the spread. Yep, I will test for spread at different distances. I did just buy a .177 pellet gun for this and it does well but I'm not a very good shot yet. Takes me from 1-10 shots to nail one!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The rifling in the .22 causes faster spread
Most shotguns are not rifled unless made to fire single slugs, so less distance spread with shot

Yes, give it a try, if you want to kill the tree rats then even the heavier shot will lose too much velocity past 15-20ft to kill unless you get luck, .22 just doesn't have the "kick" needed for this type of application

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
RonD You have a very valid point. Even with the commercial CCI Shot shells, 20-25 feet is about the maximum distance for a kill. I'll make something work.

telsar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps you should get a kitten. :)

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Hahaha! We do have a wild red fox that has nailed several of these squirrels. The Fox is super fast and can also jump about 6 feet up in to the tree. Most amazing thing I have ever seen.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are some pretty neat pellet rifles out now that may be worth checking into

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I probably will get a pellet rifle at some point. I do enjoy the quietness and the ability to practice in the garage. I've only ran just over 100 pellets through my new, cheap break-barrel pistol. I think my shots will improve once it is broken-in. Sure a hoot to shoot!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah you can get really nice pellet guns for $100-200 and they are super accurate. like you said just do some target shooting and find the sweet spot. I have little pellet guns and most of them are dead on from 20-30 feet. some at 40-50 feet. the other advantage is they are quiet so no one will be alarmed at the guy shooting 30 rounds trying to kill one squirrel lol.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Finally got some .22 crimped bird shot for my birthday. I'm ready now for those pesky squirrels! Oh, the sadness... The Wife took over my shooting duties. She says I'm wasting ammo. Her motto is "One Shot, One Kill"! I think she just likes shooting my new Ruger pistol.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I think you better be wary of what she practices on :shok:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
try some Aguila .22 super colibri. its made in Mexico, 20 grains and about 700 fps. its a non-powder bullet, uses only the primer, and is very quiet. it will put an exit blister on 3/4" wood, usually won't completely punch thru.
I use it to take out rats at 60 ft. along the back fence. it doesn't have enough kick to cycle a semi-auto, but will fire in one.

do not get regular "colibri", its so slow I was able to run and catch the slug!!!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 250 yard rifle range out of my kitchen window. Above the window I have a .17 WSM Savage B-Mag and a .22 Benjamin pellet rifle. Every 25 yds I have a target you can hear when you hit it. The .22 air rifle with alloy pellets is good to 150yds hitting a 24" metal disk--very repeatable, but its turning into an artillery piece at that range. At 25 yards it will kill easily. It will kill a crow at 100 yds. It's sighted for 100 yards using a shotgun scope that cost more than the gun. It will punch through a drum cymbal about 10% of the hits at 50 yards. The wind doesn't bother it too much, unlike my .177 air rifles.

The .17 WSM is a laser anywhere. It has almost no drop out to 250yds and even at 250 yds knocks a hole in an old round barbecue lid that doesn't peel on the back side of the hole. Like a paper punch. A tiny fleck of a bullet but with so much muzzle velocity that it has the same muzzle energy as a 45 ACP, and carries it a long way down range.

A little loud in the kitchen, but you have to keep sharp in case the North Koreans invade through my hay field.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks, pjtoledo. I'd like to try those. I bought some subsonic but they are still to powerful for my needs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals