• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought a rare find but I need help.

Awatson73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I recently bought a 91 ranger XLT in rare shape. 1 owner, 75,000 miles. It sat for 2-4 years. Couldn't find out exactly how long from the seller as he was selling it for a family friend. So I've replaced the thermostat. And radiator cap. It wants to push coolant back to the reserve. But I'm getting no signs at all of a head gasket leak. Also transmission slips for a few minutes til it warms up. Then it shifts fine. What should I start or where?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How much coolant is it blowing out into the overflow tank? It is normal and OK for it to push and pull coolant from that location. If it's blowing out a lot, I'd suspect that you have a head gasket/head issue and it's blowing exhaust into the cooling system. Does it overheat?

Transmission issue could be a variety of things. How's the fluid level and condition? If it's low or way too high it will never shift right. May try dropping the pan and doing a filter and fluid change on it.

Awatson73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know because the temp gauge and fuel gauge don't work. It loses some but doesn't empty out. It's not blowing out water or steam or smoke from tail pipe. Oil is dark needs changed but not milky. I put bar's stop leaks in it on Saturday. Drove it a few times, topped it off yesterday but haven't had a chance to drive it since. Transmission fluid looks good, maybe just a touch high on the full side

sd359

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
31/10-50
You can buy a kit for about $50 that will check your coolant for combustion. I know with mine I can open the radiator and it pushes and pulls coolant almost constantly. It goes up and down.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A working temp gauge would be the next item on the fix list. I'd almost say if you're not losing a lot, it's not blowing a ton into the overflow, no steam in the exhaust and none in the oil... it's probably fine. The coolant level in my overflow tanks fluctuates quite a bit, it's normal as the fluid expands and contracts with temperature.

One of my trucks has a bad head and it will blow steam out the exhaust constantly... nothing in the oil and it doesn't overheat and runs good.... but it definitely loses a lot of coolant.

Awatson73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I just drove it from my house to my girlfriend's about 10 miles. Just parked it, checked it. Reserve is a little over cold fill line and it looks like maybe some sprayed from the cap on to the reserve tank. I replaced the cap 2 weeks ago but is it possible I bought one rated for a lower pressure and can't handle the 4.0?

Awatson73

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
It didn't spray a bunch.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Other possible leak points;
upper rad hose, look for pinhole near clamp.
hose to overflow tank, check for cracking underneath.
where tank attaches to aluminum, the rubber o-ring seal can leak.

See if your local parts place has a pressure tester. Pressurize the system when cold and look for leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals