• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake line flares

Theblindguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On my 03 ranger 4X4 with four wheel ABS do the brake lines going from the ABS unit to the Master have bubble flares on both ends? I purchased pre-bent lines and ran into a couple problems with the lines going from the ABS unit to the master. The line going to the rear hole on the master had the wrong size fitting and when I went to the parts store they told me the line I brought to them has a double flare on it and the master uses a bubble flare. Now I am not doubting what the guy at Autozone told me but I have found out to verify anything they say especially when it comes to breaks. Also I am 100% blind so I cannot physically look and see that’s why I am asking here. also no need for questions asking me how I plan on driving this truck as I won’t be. I do have children with drivers licenses That will drive me around in it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
In my experieince, all flares on brake lines are double flared. With some double flare tool kits, the ends look more bubbled than double flared but once seated and tightened down, they crimp down to a proper double flare instead of a keeping the bubbled look.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Last time I commented in a brake line flaring question it didn't end well.

I will say that a double and a bubble flare are completely different and are not interchangeable.

I'm not sure which configuration the OP has.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Part of the reason I qualified my response with "from my experience". There is enough stuff out there that I haven't worked on to know I know all the answers.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
First off... you should always doubt what the salesperson at any parts store says, they’re usually minimum wage dummies.

Without a pic of the old and new lines, it would be hard for us to answer your question. At this point we’re relying on the guy from Autozone. (See above)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The following is a series of GENERAL statements, and may not apply to every application.

GM is the only domestic manufacturer that uses bubble flares in in-line positions. Ford does not.

Ford does however use bubble flares at some master cylinders. The original unit for my 88 Bronco 2 has double flared ports at both positions of the master cylinder. The master from a 95 Explorer in my Ranger has one of each. The master cylinder I installed in a 97 Explorer a few years ago had two bubble flares. Same experience with a 97 E-350 I used to work on a lot.

Ford does however love to use bubble flares at the connections to the ABS module's hydraulic block. They also tend to use holes with different sizes and threads to help avoid crossing the lines, particularly mixing up the in and out lines. I have no issue believing that this is your problem, as most pre-made lines use a double flare.

You should be able to use line adapters to change the HCU connections over to accept standard pre-made lines. That's how I dealt with it on my Ranger.

As said, the double and bubble flare are very dissimilar. They are different enough that I can tell the difference just by feel, so I imagine that someone who is blind and probably used to making sensitive distinctions with their hands would also be able to make the distinction. I'm not blind, but I do a lot of feeling around for things I can't see because my hands fit but my head doesn't.

Theblindguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The following is a series of GENERAL statements, and may not apply to every application.

GM is the only domestic manufacturer that uses bubble flares in in-line positions. Ford does not.

Ford does however use bubble flares at some master cylinders. The original unit for my 88 Bronco 2 has double flared ports at both positions of the master cylinder. The master from a 95 Explorer in my Ranger has one of each. The master cylinder I installed in a 97 Explorer a few years ago had two bubble flares. Same experience with a 97 E-350 I used to work on a lot.

Ford does however love to use bubble flares at the connections to the ABS module's hydraulic block. They also tend to use holes with different sizes and threads to help avoid crossing the lines, particularly mixing up the in and out lines. I have no issue believing that this is your problem, as most pre-made lines use a double flare.

You should be able to use line adapters to change the HCU connections over to accept standard pre-made lines. That's how I dealt with it on my Ranger.

As said, the double and bubble flare are very dissimilar. They are different enough that I can tell the difference just by feel, so I imagine that someone who is blind and probably used to making sensitive distinctions with their hands would also be able to make the distinction. I'm not blind, but I do a lot of feeling around for things I can't see because my hands fit but my head doesn't.

Theblindguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My new lines have the standard double flare on them but I threw away my old lines so I cannot check them to see what was there. And I can’t tell by feeling around the master cylinder. I did notice the ABS unit and the master cylinder each line has different hole sizes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My new lines have the standard double flare on them but I threw away my old lines so I cannot check them to see what was there. And I can’t tell by feeling around the master cylinder. I did notice the ABS unit and the master cylinder each line has different hole sizes.
Get someone who can see to look into the ports. A Bubble flare port will be smooth the whole way down and come to a point at the bottom.

A double flared port will be a fairly shallow hole, maybe 1/4 inch deep or so, and have an upward protrusion in the middle of the bottom that looks something like a tiny volcano.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I recently replaced the brake line from the junction near the fuel filter back to the flex line near the rear diff. On my 98 SC the junction was a metric bubble flare. I just got a double flare to bubble flare brass adapter since I didn't have a bubble flare kit. Just seems appropriate for this thread in case anyone is caught off guard like I was a few month ago.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I use my double flare tool to make bubble flares by omitting the final step. You have to be very careful and set the depth of the first crush a little lower. Don't try it unless you have a lot of experience flaring steel tube.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I use my double flare tool to make bubble flares by omitting the final step. You have to be very careful and set the depth of the first crush a little lower. Don't try it unless you have a lot of experience flaring steel tube.
I read that you could do it too. I believe it's possible but I tried a few times in my recent predicament but didn't like the product. The adapter worked great.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Borrowed this photo from single vs bubble vs double(hope that's not immoral or illegal). Went looking because I wasn't sure what they all were

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals