• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brakes not disengaging

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was driving around town for a few hours and I noticed the brakes started acting funny. When I was driving, the truck was veering to the left. When I engaged the brake, it would either dive hard to to the left and sometimes the right. When I let off the throttle, the truck would slow down quickly. Thankfully, I was a mile from my house when this happened so I was able to get back. when I was in the driveway, I pumped the brake pedal, got out and pushed the truck, and both the left and right front caliper was dragging hard.
Does this sound like a master cylinder? I replaced the passenger side caliper about 2 years ago due to it sticking. Today was about 92 degrees and it has been the longest I have driven it all summer. Could it be the brake fluid overheating? Either way, I`m going to flush out the old fluid since its starting to discolor. Any help is appreciated!
My truck is a 1994 ford ranger 4.0 4x4 5speed

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Could be a stuck caliper, stuck slides, bad brake hose... need to jack it up and see if its one wheel or both and go from there.

A bad master cylinder usually gives a mushy pedal like having air in the lines.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
What Dirtman said.
I would lean towards stuck slides.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
When brake hoses are as old as they are on your truck even if they aren't collapsed inside you probably should replace them! No you can't tell by looking at them, you can only tell by trying to push fluid through them sometimes they work like a check valve! Good news calipers, brake hoses,pad etc aren't terribly expensive,

My 93 ranger the front brakes were dragging because I had a bad RABS valve, one of the most unusual problems I've ever seen in my life!

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the replies! I greased the slides and bled the front brakes. The fluid was dark brown/black ? I drove it today with no problems.
However, I was not able to bleed the rear brakes. I opened the valve and the pedal got hard and would not go down. It was like the valves were not open at all. I had no problems bleeding the front brakes.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The bleeder valves and or wheel cylinders get rusted and sealed shut. Take the bleeders all the way off and physically clean or replace them. If you still get nothing, crack open the lines on the wheel cylinders themselves and try again, if still nothing then theres a blockage in the line from the master cylinder but thats unlikely.

Then do a full brake system flush. Youtube that if you've never done it. But, with fluid thats black you have a ton of corrosio in the system already. Maybe time to start saving up for all new lines, wheel cylinders etc.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
RABS valve, they have they have very tiny passages and get clogged with rust, good chance it's shot, time to do your homework, if it is the rabs, options are: repair (not likely) Replace ($$$) or bypass what many do, but know the risks.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Had this issue in an '89, bypassing the RABS valve fixed it. But I also had done new calipers, hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and rear hardware so it was simply the last item that could have failed. Hard to say exactly but if you're not getting fluid out of the rear wheel cylinders, I'd start at the front and work your way back. Bleeder valves may simply be clogged full of rust.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
RABS in my 93 made me insane, cost nearly $1,000 going to the shop replacing rear drums three times ( or was it two times) finally he said he was perfectly comfortable by passing it, and was very knowledgeable and aware of the problems RABS has caused over the years

On my 94, didn't think twice, went right in bypassed it, then did front brake hoses, rotors, calipers, master cylinder, booster and rear brake shoes with a friend's help, I saved hundreds of dollars! I love my brakes!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The bleeder valves and or wheel cylinders get rusted and sealed shut. Take the bleeders all the way off and physically clean or replace them. If you still get nothing, crack open the lines on the wheel cylinders themselves and try again, if still nothing then theres a blockage in the line from the master cylinder but thats unlikely.
I've had ones that had to be drilled out. On my B2 I just opened them, started the engine, and held the brakes. Popped the blockage right out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals