• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broke transfer case housing city driving.

yoshi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Howdy everyone. I’m having some very troubling issues with my ranger. I snapped 2 of the tiny 1210 u joint on the rear drive shaft wheeling. I removed the rear shaft and used the 4hi with the front drive shaft to get home. When driving to the drive line shop I hear a loud crack/pop and all my tcase fluid is on the road, when I pull over there is a massive crack from the rear output shaft housing to the fill hole and a large chunk of the housing is missing. I assume I need to get a new tcase, I was considering getting just a new housing half but I assume there is bearing damage as I had to drive a short distance before pulling over. The transfer case is a borgwarner 1350 manual shift. What vehicles did this tcase come in? I’m trying to source one from a local junkyard but I might have to end up ordering one on eBay. Any idea what caused this failure? Could running in 4 with just the front shaft cause this or could it of been the rear shaft failing and starting a crack in the case?
Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Most likely is that the transfer case was failing and that caused rear drive shaft issue, continued used caused the broken case.

You can use 1983 to 1997 transfer case as those still had speedometer cable hook up, 1998 and up do not.
It can be a 1350 or 1354 they have the same bolt pattern for transmission

Although there were changes in drive shaft couplings

Read here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/1983-2011_ford_ranger_transfer_cases.shtml

And here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.shtml

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Watch the shift arm on the t-case, yours should be removable so make sure if you get another 1350 it either has the same shift arm as yours or is removable.

Some of the earlier ones were shorter, timed differently and/or not removable and the rest of the linkage may not be compatible with your transmission.

If you get a 1354 get the linkage too.

Also be warned to watch the driveshaft outputs, they changed over the years and with different wheelbase options.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals