• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 D30 SAS coil spring options?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hey everyone im doing an SAS on the old bronco 2, and yes im using a dana 30 and no im not getting a damn 44!! Lol theyre just getting way too spendy and scarce. Plus dana 30s are narrow, cheap and the right bolt pattern. I got mine for $130! Anyways im having a tough time finding what springs to use. Ive gotten a lot of mixed ideas surfing the web but cant find much on my specific application. Basically i want roughly 6" of lift, and retain the stock upper buckets. I was planning on cutting off the stock shock mount and getting something that allows for longer shocks with an eye configuration.

About the only thing i can find is to use early bronco coils, but they are too wide apparently and getting coil buckets to fit the frame is a pain because of the bump in the frame on the drivers side.. Lol idk. I got the rig all tore down and got that scrap metal pile of dana 28 ttb out from under the rig lol. Thanks for the input!

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Also i was curious about the skyjacker radius arm crossmember part number rcm-b. Its cheap and from what i see/read it just replaces your factory crossmember and allows for long travel radius arms to mount to it. Could i potentially use that crossmember for my 3 link setup i was gonna make as oppose to fabbing up a crossmember like i originally intended?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I found this pic of a guy using cherokee springs in his ranger inside the stock buckets.. But im not too sure of how he did it? Wondering if he just got a chunk of tube and welded it in there, and welded a piece of plate under it and welded a bolt in the middle for the bump stop to bolt to. Cant find anything for a cherokee style upper coil bucket.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/images/Dana30_Ranger_install5.jpg

Kurt.king870s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd go for jeep lift coils that will be a direct fit to the axle. I did a d30 swap on my 92 ranger and used the 4 inch lift coils I had from the ttb, but it rides a little rough now (I think it's because of the geometry). I heard that jeep coils have a softer ride and more flex.

I made 4 link (it will be 3 link when I put the front driveshaft in) that reused the lower brackets on the axle, but used custom top mounts. I also used the jeep trac bar which made life easy, as well as most of the jeep tie rod. It involves some custom mods, but it's nothing hard if you are handy with a welder. Let me know if you want some pics, i'm happy to take as many as you need, just mention what you want pics of.

Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
347 STROKER
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is quite a while from the original post but hopefully I can help if you are still in search. Have you looked at James Duff? They sell parts specifically made to do the solid axle conversion in your ranger. First, on the coil springs, You can use early bronco coil springs with stock upper buckets. James Duff also sells upper coil spring buckets with a shock attachment made to run dual eyelet shocks which is something you said you were looking for. For the coil spring height, if you are going early bronco coils, you can use their 3.5"s springs which should give you around a 5-6" lift when used on a SAS with their radius arms and heavy duty lower coil retainers.

www.dufftuff.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals