• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II Drive Shaft Replacement/Measurement

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I been digging and have come accross different pieces of information which has been getting me confused. So I expect this has been answered, but I don't know that I am understanding what I have read.

I have 87 Bronco II, 2.9L, 4WD, 5 spd manual trans and manual transfer case. I have no idea as to exact model trans or transfer case. It is an essentially stock vehicle with no lift.

I fairly certain I have a problem with my rear drive shaft. I get a great deal of clicking when accelerating or going up hills. As I understand the OE shaft is a CV joint type shaft that was prone to failure. Most of what I been finding for replacement have been like the A1 Cardon 65-9821 labeled as GKN conversion design. Looks like this has a U joint at each end.

First question, is there any issue with a conversion such as this?

Second, assuming this is the correct item, I find there are two A1 Cardone models that have the 4 bolt flange at each end (like my existing shaft) that are for standard transmission. From what I can tell the differences are the length. The model 65-9821 is 32 11/16" long while the PN 65-9825 is 36 5/8" long.

A crude measurement of my existing shaft gave me a flange to flange dimension close to 33 inches. To me this is very close to the 32 11/16" shaft but even though it was a crude measurement it does seem slightly longer than that dimension. On the other hand 36 5/8" seems way too long so it probably can't be that, BUT

BUT my understanding is that this shaft telescopes for lack of a better word which I believe is to allow for dimension change due to suspension travel. So is this dimension specified by the manufacturer a fully compressed length, fully extended or a nominal length? If a nominal length the 32 11/16 seems just about right. If a compressed length the 32 11/16 seems like maybe too tight, but I don't know how much movement there is and the 36 5/8" would obviously be too long. If it is the fully extended length however, the 32 11/16 would be appear to be too short so perhaps the 36 5/8" one is the one I want.

I am tending to think the 32 11/16 is the nominal operating dimension for the shaft, but I seen a few things that say how to measure and there seems to be no single standard.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thank you.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Driveshafts are nearly always measured at their nominal length (usually at mid-travel of their slip or telescoping section).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals