• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Beefed up to the point of how much of it still a BII.

The front grille was a different style but was interchangable. Wider stance, beefed up A4LD in an attempt to get it to hold up to the new 4.0, 31 spline 8.8 axle, SUA rear suspension... there were more things different than the same between the two trucks.
Wider stance in the front only if compared to a Bronco2 made before November of 1989.

Wider stance in the back? yes, by 2".

wheelbase longer by 6" the Explorer sport has a 102"WB
the Bronco2 has a 94"WB.

Turning circle of a Bronco2 is slightly tighter IF the Bronco2 being
discussed has a D35. if it has a D28 it can't turn quite as tight
(the D35's slightly greater width allows more steering deflection
before the inside tire touches the frame) otherwise the Explorer
Sport can actually turn tighter.

The only real disadvantage to the sport is it's spring UNDER rear axle
but when you factor in it's more fatigue resistant springs it's a wash

The Sport already has a 4.0 and a 31-spline 8.8" and a disc explorer rear is literally a matter of 14 fasteners off and 14 back on (Eight u-joint nuts, Four driveshaft bolts, and two shock nuts)

Slightly more front seat leg room and significantly more rear seat room are more than worth the extra wheelbase.

the only downside is that the sport has slightly more rear overhang
but the rear departure angle is about the same because behind the axle is the spare tire which doesn't actually hang as low as the Bronco2's rear mounted (rust prone) steel fuel tank, and the spare tire can be removed
increasing the departure angle further.

the only real problem with the explorer sport is that it's unique longer doors
(which make rear seat entry/exit easier) tend to wear the hinges out.
but hinges can be rebuilt or replaced.

AD

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
And that is your history lesson for today...

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wider stance in the front only if compared to a Bronco2 made before November of 1989.

AD
What exactly are you referring to when you say wider stance? Do you mean that after November of 1989 the 1990 model bronco II had the D35 and that's what made it equal stance with the explorer?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The D35 has a WMS-WMS measument of 59" same as the explorer 8.8. The rear B2 axle was 57" the same as the D28 front.

Rangers were the only odd balls to have a 59" front and 56" rear (57.5 for 93 and up models)

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The D35 has a WMS-WMS measument of 59" same as the explorer 8.8. The rear B2 axle was 57" the same as the D28 front.

Rangers were the only odd balls to have a 59" front and 56" rear (57.5 for 93 and up models)
Pardon my ignorance, so it's not that the actually front end is any wider (the body and or frame)?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Pardon my ignorance, so it's not that the actually front end is any wider (the body and or frame)?
No, just the Axle is wider, but, the gen2 frames are slightly wider in the front than the gen1's to account for the new front end(not that that applies here with the Explorer tho.)

Last edited:

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, just the Axle is wider, but, the gen2 frames are slightly wider in the front than the gen1's to account for the new front end(not that that applies here with the Explorer tho.)

The explorer fenders are wider and the doors are thicker is cross section so it is wider at the body bit the light/grill area is still the same width. The wider fenders cover the stock 235's better.

The front frame being wider is marginal and I don't think it's as much as some claim. My frame is an 89 and the body is an 87. Bolted up fine at the core support. My silver bumper was made for a 85 B2 and it bolted on fine to my 89 frame. Just moved a couple of holes on the bumper because of my bodylift.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Mkay, i just remember comparing the frame from my 85 to the 90, the 85 was like 2 inches narrower....Or maybe Im going crazy.

Didn't know about wider fenders, sorry bout that, thought they were all the same

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mkay, i just remember comparing the frame from my 85 to the 90, the 85 was like 2 inches narrower....Or maybe Im going crazy.

Didn't know about wider fenders, sorry bout that, thought they were all the same
Maybe your crazy.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

I can't remember all the details and where I even read it, but somewhere I thought the information was put out that Ford decide to widen the front of the Bronco II to provide more stability from the first year models.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can't remember all the details and where I even read it, but somewhere I thought the information was put out that Ford decide to widen the front of the Bronco II to provide more stability from the first year models.
I believe they went with wider rims/offset and wider tires. Only other difference is trach width between the D28 and D35 axles.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe they went with wider rims/offset and wider tires. Only other difference is trach width between the D28 and D35 axles.
thanks for the insight CopyKat:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals