• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bulletproof motorcycle tiedown points in Ranger Bed

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I wanted to haul my bike in my truck, it's 500 Lbs.

Unfortunately, the Ranger has almost nothing to attach to except these flimsy little brackets inside the box, and they are made of the finest Drop-Forged Cheese, and held on by luck and well-wishes.

So I began to look at the bed bolts, and thought of using those as anchor points. Only problem is, the stock metal U-clips that go on the frame are stamped, and not very hefty.

I thought of using nuts and washers inside the frame, but the fuel tank is in the way on the driver's side, and I wasn't about to drop that.

I found that F-250 box bolts use a type of U-clip that retains an actual hex nut, and that ought to be strong enough for anything you could toss at them.
Plus, they are 14mm, Vs the stock Ranger's 12mm bolts.

I picked up some barely used bolts and clips off Fleabay, and set to work.

Comparison between Ranger and F-250 hardware:

It was a simple matter of removing the two forward bed bolts, jacking the bed up a bit with a floor jack and a 2x4, which allowed me to remove the stock U-clips.

I put a little black silicone around the hole, just for giggles, and to fill in where the bedliner was disturbed and popped up. Probably not necessary, but hey, it was handy, so why not.

Next to replace with these:

I got these two massively beefy D-rings, and drilled out the square holes to match the F-250 bed bolts, which was just under 3/4" just up under the head (they widen near the top). The drill press at work was invaluable.

I also radiused the corners of the brackets so they would not interfere with the front wall of the truck box.

From there, it was just a matter of screwing in the new bed bolts, and using them to hold the D-rings in place. I did discover that I needed to eliminate the factory washers off the bed bolts, to get full threads down into the U-nuts under the box, on the frame. Without a thick bedliner, you might not have to do this. I checked the bolt threads on the passenger side from underneath to confirm.

Other side, same thing:

And the whole shebang with wheel chock (yes, it's offset to the right, so the front tire sits down inbetween the ribs of the bed floor):

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And yes, I should be able to pick the truck up with a crane, using those two D-rings. LOL.

At least I will never, ever wonder if it's not strong enough. HAHA.

NO modifications needed to the box or frame, the larger bolts and beefier clips fit the existing holes in the bed and the frame easily.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice mod, ever thought of adding two more to the back of the bed? What year are the bed bolts from on the f250?

SVT

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I might have to do that. I would need a wider front tire holder because my big wheel's tires are the size of an atv's.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice mod, ever thought of adding two more to the back of the bed? What year are the bed bolts from on the f250?

SVT
The bed bolts/clips I bought were supposedly for 1999-2012 F250s and F350s.

And yes, you could certainly do two more of those in the back.

I put two smaller D-rings in place of the factory "deck cleats" on the rear sides of the bed, but it's just to stop the rear of the bike from hopping left or right when hitting bumps, not to really tie it down. I won't be tightening them hardly at all. Just snug.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So those f-250 bolts fit right in? Was wandering if they would. Need to get new bed bolts for my first gen rebuild and I can get like new take offs of those a lot cheaper than net bolts and clips for a Ranger.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So those f-250 bolts fit right in? Was wandering if they would. Need to get new bed bolts for my first gen rebuild and I can get like new take offs of those a lot cheaper than net bolts and clips for a Ranger.
Ebay. here's the link, same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-SUPER-DUTY-BED-BOLTS-CLIPS-AND-BOLTS-1999-TO-2012-F250-F350-/350712324015?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a8155faf&vxp=mtr

FWIW, my local Ford dealer quoted me $13 APIECE for the wimpy stock stamped Ranger bed clips.
Just the clip, not the bolt.

No idea what they would want for the F250 items.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was looking at LMC Truck and it was going to be about $150 total for all of the bolts and clips. I had seen the F-250 sets on eBay, but didn't know if the lengths and diameters were right to fit. I'll definitely be ordering a set soon.

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Worked great!

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been hauling motorcycles in truck beds and on trailers over 30 years. Never, ever used a space taking front wheel holder. As far as where to anchor the tie downs, I always just used the stake pockets. And since my bikes aren't so short, I can't close the tailgate. So the rear gets anchored to the latching points for the tailgate. And if you're worried about damaging those with a bike, DON'T. I've had a 600lb and a 1000 lb bagger, wedged in the back of my Ranger. They'll hold up to at least 80mph.

dasrider

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
bump...

I've been looking for a solution to tie down my bike in the back of my newly acquired '94 short bed, std cab Ranger.

Buddy of mine at work had some extra 3/8" thick angle iron he cut and drilled a couple of holes into for me. I popped out the two forward and rear bed bolts and put these tie-down anchors at those locations. I'll be towing my bike next Friday so we'll see how they do. Looks plenty sturdy to me though.

dasrider

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Quick update, no pics, but the tie-downs worked perfectly for hauling my bike.

If you can mod up some angle iron to do this, it works great!

Firebat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where can you get big D-rings like that?

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Firebat said:
Where can you get big D-rings like that?
Anywhere they sell trailer & towing supplies.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been looking for a solution to tie down my bike in the back of my newly acquired '94 short bed, std cab Ranger.

Buddy of mine at work had some extra 3/8" thick angle iron he cut and drilled a couple of holes into for me. I popped out the two forward and rear bed bolts and put these tie-down anchors at those locations. I'll be towing my bike next Friday so we'll see how they do. Looks plenty sturdy to me though.

You might knock the corners down so you don't slip and fall and gut yourself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals