• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

burning antifreeze like crazy and missing when hot!! Help??

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well hers my problem I'm burning thru antifreeze like crazy.. so i figured that i had an intake problem.. but after it gets hot it starts missing so ive had a few people tell me that it sounds like a bad head gasket or a cracked head... And the system will not stop pushing air thru the cooling system so its pushing air in thru somewhere.. Im gonna check the compression in a few after it cools off but was looking for some expert opinion... Thanks Derek

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Check your oil also, as that very well could be where all the coolant is going. If it looks milky then you have a bad head gasket.

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nope oil looks just the way it should and the antifreez is still bright lime green

ff2024

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had a similar problem...I was losing antifreeze but couldn't find the leak, and my oil was fine. But come to find out it was the head gasket. I would leak to the outside of the head and burn off before I could notice it. So I replaced the head gasket and all is well.....for now.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's possible -- and not all that unlikely -- to breach a head gasket from the water jacket directly into a cylinder. It's easily detectable with a leakdown test. If it's severe, it will make clouds of persistent, sweet smelling white smoke even when completely warm.

It's also rather easy to have a small or moderate leak to the outside without making puddles. Look around the ENTIRE cooling system for corrosion tracks and white deposits. Do NOT skip the water pump. A failing water pump will leak out a weep hole in the bottom of the snout.

If an external leak is bad enough to cause rough running, internal engine damage becomes likely. This includes scuffing cylinders (leads to oil use through piston rings, especially at high throttle) and "flattening" pistions (leads to engine knocks). It may or may not show up as overheating on the temperature gauge. Usually, though not always, the gauge reads abnormally COLD when this is going on. That's because the gauge sender is measuring air.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your vintage 4.0L is known for the lower intake bolts to loosen up. I suspect you now need to replace the lower intake gaskets. To verify this theory, spray some carb cleaner on the lower intake to head interface, while the engine is idling. If you have a leak, you will see a change in RPM.

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible -- and not all that unlikely -- to breach a head gasket from the water jacket directly into a cylinder. It's easily detectable with a leakdown test. If it's severe, it will make clouds of persistent, sweet smelling white smoke even when completely warm..
Thats exactly what my dad said... so last night i checked the compression ,, cylinder 5 had decent compression about 179 ish and the 4 cylinder only had 150 and the plug was really oily so it looks like i need a head gasket.. the 1,2,3 cylinders all have 190-180 for compression.. just hoping it not a cracked head

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That is definitely out of spec, but before you pull this thing apart, run a leakdown test.

Pressurize the suspect cylinder to 100 PSI at TDC/compression, remove the rad cap and look for bubbles. Also listen at the exhaust pipe and throttle body (with the intake hose removed) for hissing. This tells you if your low compression is because you need a valve job.

Also, try a "wet" compression test on #4 and see if it improves. Just a few squirts of clean engine oil in the cylinder. This tests the piston rings.

The lower intake being loose will oil foul plugs very easily, and can cause coolant burning (though it's hard to imagine it not getting coolant in the oil). It will NOT affect compression or cylinder leakdown. Bob's test is correct, but kinda difficult on a V6 because the relevant joints are inside the valve covers.

Note that low compression by itself will explain some degree of rough idling.

Last edited:

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok well pulled the head off and i have problems.... First off my had gasket was blown big time in the # cylinder:mad and it also has some pretty good scoring.. so anyone have any ideas except dropping the piston and honing it out ???:mad::mad:

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Had a little typo it is my #6 cylinder that is bad not the #4 sori its kinda been a long night :fie::fie:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's scored, you really have no option but boring it out. Unless these are extremely shallow scores. Then you might get away with honing, but your ring gaps and piston clearance are going to be big.

But there is no way you can get scores out without some machine work. And you probably need pistons too (certainly if boring is needed), since there is probably some damage to it that you can't see.

It may be cost effective just to get a replacement (junkyard) engine. 4.0Ls are not at all rare. I suppose a rebuilt short block, but that's probably much more expensive.

94 splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 &1990
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well me and my dad just said screw it and decided to get a re ring kit from northern.... i got the engine on the stand now and im gonna pull the pistons tomorrow and do all my measuring and gonna try honing it but if not im gonna bore it so ill have pics soon

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You are about to do a lot of hard work and you won't be happy with the result

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals