• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bushing change to bearing

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2009 4+4, fx4 front passenger side axle, just had truck in to have axle seals changed, they tell me the bushing on the axle is worn and wearing a groove in the axle, upon trying to order a bushing they say it has been changed to a bearing, does that make sense, may change the axle also, who has a decent replacement axle( other than Ford, they want 900.00 for a new axle), thanks for any suggestions.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
in the earlier years of the SLA front axle the passenger side had a needle bearing supporting the shaft at the end of the tube. note: excluding the axle disconnect type here. . at some time it was changed to a bushing. must not have worked too well because now you say its back to a bearing.
someone posted a picture of that bushing recently.
the bearing is about $35 at NAPA, see if it fits. get one of each and compare them.
if they are the same a used shaft should get you back on the road.
if they are different we will have to research and see if the bearing style shaft can be used.
I have a bearing equipped front axle around some where, I'll see if I can find the shaft and mic the bearing surface.

there may be a Ford service note on this, maybe call the dealer for details?
check online for one?

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks PJ, not really sure what is going to show up, ordered from Ford and it says bearing/bushing. The drive shaft(in the tube) did get rub marks on it but may be able to Polish it out. Was hoping for a bearing but it may come as a bushing again. Was trying to find another drive shaft but all I could find was a Spicer 80297 and Spicer,s listing only goes to 2008 for that shaft, will have to get the numbers off the diff and call Spicer back, if anyone knows where to get the shaft from it would be a big help.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the bearing area on a 2004 shaft mics to 1.625"
looking at the shaft I got from a salvage yard I don't see any reason to go with an new one. there is virtually no wear on this used shaft, that had bearings not bushings.

I'll try to get some pics tonight.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2017-11-16 21.41.40.jpg
that's 40512 on the stamped #
this is a bearing equipped 2004 front axle

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2017-11-16 21.35.12.jpg
over all length, not at notches as it appears due to camera angle.
axle pass side 2004 bearing equipped

Canuck2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update, so we polished the inner shaft and installed a new seal and the new bearing that replaces the plastic bushing that was in the axle tube (yes it was plastic, probably call it fibre but it is hard plastic. All back together and not leaking so far. Finally found a part# for the inner shaft and ordered it from Ford (270.00 Canadian) in case it leaks again, then i,ll change the shaft. Part#,s used are for the bearing to replace the bushing-F57Z3C123AA, part# for the shaft 1L2Z3219AA. Hope this helps someone else tracking parts down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals