• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bushwacket pocket flares not covering fender holes???

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bushwacker pocket flares not covering fender holes???

So I have my bushwacker flares in hand, took off the right front FACTORY flare to begin with.

Holding the bushwacker in place, it does not seem like it will ever cover the factory clip holes in the front fenders.

The OE Ford flares are like 6" tall, and Bushwackers are only 4.8" tall.

The tops of the factory clip retainer holes in the fenders are between 5 and 5-1/8" away from the fender lip.

Even with the supplied rubber edge trim on the bushwackers, I cannot see how it is going to cover the holes, so I quit the install for now, in case I have to return them.

So this is me pressing and holding the flares in place, with the rearmost hole lined up, keeping the bottom lip of the flare firmly pressed against the lip of the steel fender. With as much upwards pressure as is reasonable, flexing the flare upwards, this is the coverage I get:

The pointy end of the flare that faces forward, near the front turnsignal, seems to be WAY too short, and does not come down right level with the bottom of the fender. Note I am only holding it right in place with both hands, and the rubber stripping is not fully installed all the way around the flare, as I did not want to cut it, in case I have to return them, so that's why it's dangling somewhat.

And then off the truck, with the factory flare on the bottom, and the bushwacker on top, trying to have the bottom lips as closely aligned as I can, here you can see how high the plastic clips are, and hence the holes in the fender.

How can this be so? I cannot imagine a company of Bushwacker's reputation making a product that just does not fit.

Neither can I see how they can be made to fit, from as far as I progressed.

The instructions say that trimming may be needed, but trimming is not going to make them larger to cover the holes at 5-1/8" when the flares are 4.8" tall, taken right from the instructions that Bushwacker provides.

I'd call them, but ya know, Saturday, etc.

Last edited:

88ranger5speed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have not personally done this...but it looks like you trim it, and it will make the distance it needs to reach the holes smaller:icon_confused:. But i would get other opinions from people who have actually done this. :icon_thumby:

3rd Petal

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Double check the part numbers, maybe you got the wrong flares. Cutting the fender and moving the flare up would fix the problem with it not covering the upper holes, but it would make your situation worse at the end of the flare, as it would move the flare further up and away from where it should meet up at the front corner of the wheel opening

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the install .pdf, they show the rear flares covering the fender holes, but the front flares install instructions are of a different ranger that never had the holes.

http://www.bushwacker.com/sites/default/files/product-instructions/21915_r4_1.pdf

If I have to buy brand new front fenders and have them painted, I'm going to be pissed.

I guess I'll call Bushwacker Monday and ask if they are supposed to cover the damn holes, or if they were designed for Rangers with NO flares to begin with. In which case, it would be nice if that was actually spelled out on their website somewhere.

Grrrr, I was hoping to have them installed over this weekend, I've got to work on Tuesday for a week straight.

Last edited:

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Called bushwacker today, they were very helpful, the custserv guy talked to the engineer in house that designed them. They looked at the pics I took also.

They feel they should cover the holes and want me to proceed to install them fully and see what happens then, and get back to them.

I have to work tomorrow, for a week straight, so will get after it next week.

Sigh, I really wanted them installed this past wknd. :-(

Clatterman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Mr. VFR,
Following up from an old thread, I'm facing same issue with replacing the front fender flares.
How did it go with Bushwacker? Thanks.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
veefer,

Those look like Bushwacker Cutout fender flares. They require the sheet metal to be cut in addition to rebuilding the splash apron to attach them.

If they are not long enough to cover your existing stock, untrimmed fenders or not tall enough to go from the bottom of the fender panel, to well over the top of the existing stock untrimmed fenders...then they are the wrong set.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals