• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cameras and Imaging

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Me and cameras go way back. I was never a big time camera owner but at least never took shots of anybodies feet.
Then came the digital computer age.

I didn't even get a computer of any use until after the Y2K thing, but then dove in head first. Can't say it didn't get bumped around a few times but that's ok too

After getting online and reaching the realization that my local dial-up connection reached all around the world, still wondering what practical use could it be I discovered ebay. There I realized, I would need a camera, not an old 610 but one of the new digitizer thangs.

After trying a couple "cheap" $100 ones(that couldn't even get a close-up shot of a quarter) I learned one thing for sure, it needed an optical zoom. Then tried a 3X optical that nailed it, it was a $99 Fuji. I used that camera the next ten or twelve years, making friends and shipping things all over the world.

Of course there was the matter of an imaging program for photo editing. I found the "free" ones that came with the camera were Not much use, except as theirs. Had an MGI PhotoSuite III disc bought at a yard sale for 50 cents or a buck that was outdated even then, but have used it for editing even till now, on window 10.

Back to the cameras. I updated the Fuji(even tho it still worked great) in 2006 with an Xmas sale one from Target, I think a little over a couple hundred bucks. It was a Kodak 620Z I think, and had like 10X optical zoom, used it till it actually wore plumb out and a few months ago got shopping for a replacement. Found the New Kodaks had the same pathetic flaws as the previous 12 year old one and guess what?
Wound up buying another Fuji!

It's a Wmart closeout special for $75(orig $150) has only 5x zoom(optical) but does quite a job of taking decent photos. I've been using it for all the ones posted here

My basic understanding tells me digital zoom is like blowing up a balloon, basically worthless for photos, and that Windows imaging VIEWERS are every bit as useless.

Windows actually used Kodak viewer program until 2K but shucked it in XP, and ever since their imaging and photo viewing has just gone to hell.

Photo Suite III is great for editing but not for full screen viewing(flipping from photo to photo to find a good shot)

My questions here are what is a decent photo viewer for 10, if there is one, and what about videos?

I've also learned my now Fuji does video w/sound.
Are there any (simple) decent programs for working with them?

I learned the advantages of editing photos, it showed only the best parts of a shot and could be used to greatly diminish the file size, which in internet scenarios is also an advantage.

What about the videos, what works well for editing those?

And the really groovy thing about the Fuji XP is I can go 65ft below the water and still get photos, never imagined it would allow me to swim that far down! ;)

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
There is a powerful photo/image editing program called Gimp. It’s made for Linux OS but you can get a version that works with Windows. There’s a bit of a learning curve. But it’s a good program. Not sure what to recommend for viewing or for video editing.

I enjoy photography pretty seriously and got frustrated with software years ago. So I have a subscription to Adobe allowing me use of photoshop, premiere pro, bridge and more. But I’m paying for that than what you paid for your camera. Try Gimp. It’s the real thing.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't use any software for editing because I wouldn't know the first thing about it.
But....
I follow a tech forum and the following came up that may be of help;

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use a Nikon S3300 for work (I have to take pictures of camper/rv defects and send them back to the manufacture for warranty) and I like it. It was used and only $25 on ebay. 16 mega pixel with 6x zoom. I have actually stood under a camper awning and zoomed in and got a clear picture of the tag that was only 1"x3" with small writing and I could see every letter as if I was right in front of it. I don't really have to edit much but I normally just open the picture on windows paint. What kind of editing are you wanting to do? Mine does video too but I haven't had much luck with that. Mainly because if the video is over 5 seconds then it says it is too large to send in an email. I think I'm stuck on Nikon brands though. I had a Cannon before that and it was ok but it sucked having to remove the battery to charge it so I had to buy a second battery so I could continue to work while the battery was charging.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another possibility. Quoted from L1T forum thread;
"I've also found a small channel on YouTube that's got some AWESOME resources for open source photo editing"

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Another possibility. Quoted from L1T forum thread;
"I've also found a small channel on YouTube that's got some AWESOME resources for open source photo editing"

Thanks. I’m always open to having “more tools” available

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There is a powerful photo/image editing program called Gimp. It’s made for Linux OS but you can get a version that works with Windows. There’s a bit of a learning curve. But it’s a good program. Not sure what to recommend for viewing or for video editing.

I enjoy photography pretty seriously and got frustrated with software years ago. So I have a subscription to Adobe allowing me use of photoshop, premiere pro, bridge and more. But I’m paying for that than what you paid for your camera. Try Gimp. It’s the real thing.
I do have an early photoshop 2.0 academic version I use for resizing photos.
I guess that's basically what I had in mind for video, because they're so bloated and bulky, be nice to trim em down some prior to uploading.

I don't use any software for editing because I wouldn't know the first thing about it.
But....
I follow a tech forum and the following came up that may be of help;

I'll check those too Always, thanks!

I never got far into Linux, guess it was too deep? haha, simple mind I guess. I did well with Irix though but never took it online, had scores of the SGI computers from NASA and had to know what they were made of for listing purposes. Those were some very high graphic machines, I even had some with flight similators after learning to install all the CDs, I think there was about 17 disks it took to do a full install. I still have an Octane and 2 or 3 INDYs

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use a Nikon S3300 for work (I have to take pictures of camper/rv defects and send them back to the manufacture for warranty) and I like it. It was used and only $25 on ebay. 16 mega pixel with 6x zoom. I have actually stood under a camper awning and zoomed in and got a clear picture of the tag that was only 1"x3" with small writing and I could see every letter as if I was right in front of it. I don't really have to edit much but I normally just open the picture on windows paint. What kind of editing are you wanting to do? Mine does video too but I haven't had much luck with that. Mainly because if the video is over 5 seconds then it says it is too large to send in an email. I think I'm stuck on Nikon brands though. I had a Cannon before that and it was ok but it sucked having to remove the battery to charge it so I had to buy a second battery so I could continue to work while the battery was charging.
That's what I like about the Fuji is its crystal clear focus, and it's fast. The megapixels don't mean so much to me, tho it does greatly increase the file size, I never could count past the first 3 or 4 million colors anyway ;)
The zoom is small too, only 5 optical, digital simply stretches it like a balloon so I never go to that side of the setting.
I guess the part I really like is it doesn't hesitate, snap,snap,snap. I can't count the shots missed due to a camera still trying to sort out the previous shot

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm still a bit lost as to which way to go, it still seems a bit complicated for my simple mind

Usually my editing goes to Crop, where I drag edges in to get the picture I want out of it, then go to Enhance and just use the stock setting, that makes it easier to see, and that's about it. I like to decrease the file size sometimes and if that's necessary I'll open the Photoshop and resize them. That alone makes it easier to view and keeps the file size friendlier to the website, pretty simple too

I went to the Fuji site and downloaded their programs but haven't installed them yet, might try installing on my old XP pc and see (if they'll even work on it) how they are.
One is FinePix Studio Ver.4(267mb!) , and I got a RAW File Converter(395MB!) whatever that's good for.
Yall ever used either of those ones or know anything about them?

What about video, is there anything you can use to just cut out the part you need to show ? Also is it best to upload those to a Utube first and then post the link here?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Don't know anything about finepix studio. A raw file converter will only be useful to you if your camera saves photos as RAW files. RAW Files are just that. They are raw data of the image with no special processing or formatting. No white balance setting, nothing. Having the raw data file info is useful to photographers who want full control over every aspect of the image as it was recorded so they can manipulate it later. If your camera saves files as jpeg, jpg, png, etc. Then you have no use for the raw converter.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Eric :) I'll try the finepix on the old pc and see if it works.
I don't understand why they need such large file sizes, it can't take much more now than it did 10 years ago just to snip a photo ;)

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The larger file sizes are generally due to actual large picture sizes, better resolution (more detail) and better color rendering. Some cameras allow you to save pictures at lower settings and smaller file sizes.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hek Eric, I've been spread so thin lately not sure where I'm at.
I've had that Gimp downloaded on my desktop over a week now. I had also been considering newer browser options and somehow kept thinking that's what it was for. Then after realizing it was actually a photo editor I decided to give it a look.
It would not at all install onto the old (now) "test" computer so installed it here.

It actually looked (after poking around on it for a bit) very similar to the Photoshop program that I so seldom use other than to resize photos for places where Mb's still count for much, that's really about the only use I have for it, but it does still get installed even just for that one purpose.

Sooo, with my new findings I have resolved (1) the 1999 MGI Photosuite III ( $1 at a yard sale circa 2003-4) is still my best option for rotating, cropping, and enhancing photos :D

Photoshop 2 (Copyright 1990-2002, freebee from an ITT instructor who's computer I repaired circa 2003-4ish) for resizing for smaller file size.

I'm still studying on a video editor but found that Windows "Photos" can likely be used to simply cut the lead in and out from those(which will serve my purpose)

Guess I'm still on square one but it has been a learning experience :)

Last edited:

John Dease

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Not all of them are actually supported on MacOS. ( I had some issues with Imovie, that's why I've been looking for smth else). I've found this app https://www.movavi.com/mac-video-editor/ and it is very comfortable. Moreover, there also is possible to edit online on their website, so that's why I like it a lot.

Last edited:

kavabangabumi159

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Eric :) I'll try the finepix on the old pc and see if it works.
I don't understand why they need such large file sizes, it can't take much more now than it did 10 years ago just to snip a photo ;)
what to do if i followed the instructions but nothing works

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals