• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I leave ONE engine/bell housing bolt out?

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It broke off when trying to remove it, and I drilled it out poorly. The hole in the bell housing is lopsided and I won't be able to tap it. I flunked this one. It won't hurt to leave ONE bolt out, will it??? 95 B2300.:bawling:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lock tite the other ones in and u should be ok. SHOULD.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i've left out 2 before, one on purpose and one i missed for some reason. all the bellhousing bolts do is hold the engine longitudally to the transmission. all twisting is prevented by the big dowel pins..........long story short. you'll be fine

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The reason I recommend lock tite is in case they do decide to back out and break the flexplate, assuming that u have an auto. Locktite is just good insurance anyways.

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The reason I recommend lock tite is in case they do decide to back out and break the flexplate, assuming that u have an auto. Locktite is just good insurance anyways.
no, it's manual. aren't they supposed to be tightened to a specific ft.lbs?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I've left one out on an auto trans pan before, haha.

I would ease out or drill and it.
Me and my stepdad have been mulling it over, theres a whole lot of torque there..... not really something you want to come apart.

It should be ok, but if it were on my truck........ I would have all the bolts in.
but eh, that's just me.

Frank

auto117584

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've left one out on an auto trans pan before, haha.

I would ease out or drill and it.
Me and my stepdad have been mulling it over, theres a whole lot of torque there..... not really something you want to come apart.

It should be ok, but if it were on my truck........ I would have all the bolts in.
but eh, that's just me.

Frank
I hear ya, but when i drilled the bolt out, i went in "not straight", and the back end of the hole, on the high side of the hole, is GONE. Can't put threads in there, the metal is gone. as in "not there". drilled out, disappeared, and on the garage floor, actually. just a pile of metal bits... can we say "woops"? I'll just have to refrain from revving it up to 3500 rpm and popping the clutch, I guess... :nopityA:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
you will be fine. as far as torque goes the bolts don't even hold that stress. they just keep the engine mated to the trans. ever notice how on nearly every bellhousing the bolt holes are quite a bit larger diameter than the bolt? (in fact that's why you couldn't drill it very easily) if there were any movement at all they wouldn't design the bellhousing bolts to be 1/2" in diamter while a 3/8" bolt goes through it.

like i said in my previous post all stress and torque is held by the dowel pins. (notice the tight fit of the dowel pins?) all the bolts do is keep them pressed together so that the dowel pins can do their job.

my v8 broncoii is minus 1 bellhousing bolt out of necessity as we speak, it has been since last year. plenty of wheeling and in fact on mother's day it actually caught about 3 feet of air.......no problems.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You will be just fine. I prefer to have all of them too, as I'm sure we all do, but it's not a 100% needed thing.

I've left vehicles I've worked on at work go down the road minus a bell bolt many times, for a variety of reasons from forgot to put it in to that ear off the trans case. Not a single one of them has ever come back for something related to being short a bolt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals