• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can my Ranger carry a slide-in camper?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
When I was a kid, my dad put a huge sleeper on our little Ranger (2.3 4spd) and drove us from Arkansas to North Carolina, it must have took a week to get there. The spdlmt was 55, but I bet we didn't do over 35. I'll try to dig up some old photographs and try to post them.

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
lol @ rusty again with the 'this is an old thread', but sir! Aren't these trucks, including yours, OLD?!? :p So this all applies! And I like the reads drudged up honestly, let's not discourage it!

Moreso on the topic, I've always wanted a camper to put in one of my Rangers. So bad. I just don't know where to find such. The Mirage Campers were neat as hell and there was one for sale in Oklahoma for months for $4500 but by the time I almost had the money up, it was gone :cautious:

Also, wouldn't the rear disc conversion help with stopping power for such? My drums allow me to lock up the rear 235 75 15 unfortunately as is (just had to yesterday because some lady literally walked in front of me at 45-50mph) but if I had that kind of weight, I'd be all over it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
lol @ rusty again with the 'this is an old thread', but sir! Aren't these trucks, including yours, OLD?!? :p So this all applies! And I like the reads drudged up honestly, let's not discourage it!

Moreso on the topic, I've always wanted a camper to put in one of my Rangers. So bad. I just don't know where to find such. The Mirage Campers were neat as hell and there was one for sale in Oklahoma for months for $4500 but by the time I almost had the money up, it was gone :cautious:

Also, wouldn't the rear disc conversion help with stopping power for such? My drums allow me to lock up the rear 235 75 15 unfortunately as is (just had to yesterday because some lady literally walked in front of me at 45-50mph) but if I had that kind of weight, I'd be all over it.
1- My truck is not "old". Its elderly.

2- The best way to camp in a ranger is with a weathertight shell, sleeping bag, and an air matress. There just to narrow tracking to be stable, IMO.

3- Disc brakes are overrated. They dont fade as fast but in my experences drums that ARE ACTUALLY FUNCTIONING PROPERLY stop just as strong. They just heat up faster.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
1- My truck is not "old". Its elderly.

2- The best way to camp in a ranger is with a weathertight shell, sleeping bag, and an air matress. There just to narrow tracking to be stable, IMO.

3- Disc brakes are overrated. They dont fade as fast but in my experences drums that ARE ACTUALLY FUNCTIONING PROPERLY stop just as strong. They just heat up faster.
When I worked in the chassis shop we had a bunch of guys in footbrake classes swap out rear disc to drum brakes. Their reason... they hold better on the line. Stopping after the run may have been an afterthought.

FYI: Footbrake classes included any class that don't allow transbrakes, throttle stops, etc. You can only use the foot brake to hold the car on the line.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just because a truck CAN do something doesn't mean its SAFE to do so. I would be more concerned with stopping and going up and down hills and sharp turns more than just if it can do it. I can probably fit 20 people in my truck but that doesn't mean its safe or legal. You do what you want. It's your truck and insurance (when needed) Those truck bed campers can be REALLY heavy. Probably close to the pay load of these older rangers. Tires aren't rated for stuff like that either. Most full size trucks with the truck bed camper have E rated tires.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Just because a truck CAN do something doesn't mean its SAFE to do so. I would be more concerned with stopping and going up and down hills and sharp turns more than just if it can do it. I can probably fit 20 people in my truck but that doesn't mean its safe or legal. You do what you want. It's your truck and insurance (when needed) Those truck bed campers can be REALLY heavy. Probably close to the pay load of these older rangers. Tires aren't rated for stuff like that either. Most full size trucks with the truck bed camper have E rated tires.
My Skamper weighs 800 lbs dry... and for the record... it was built in 84 for a long bed Ranger. With C rated truck tires and a Helwig over load... I toted that camper all over the place. without issue.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There are some slide ins made for small and mid sized trucks. They are far and few between but they exist. Even with the lightest ones, once you load food, clothing, etc, you’ll be running close to max load limit. Of course, the tires and springs you have will make a difference as to what that limit is.

Unless you care camping somewhere for more than a night or two I would probably stick with the precious recommendation of sticking with a fiberglass truck cap to sleep in the bed or one designed with a roof rack in mind for a roof top tent if you really are set on sleeping in the truck and not setting up a tent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals