• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Caravan running rough after parking on a hill.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My wife has a 98 Dodge Caravan, 3.0l.

Recently, it started acting up. Whenever I park on a hill, even for a short time like 10-15 minutes, it runs really poorly when I start it again. If I park it on nice, flat ground, it doesn't do this at all. Drive it a few blocks with very little power and a clunking noise from the tranny if you throttle too much, and then it returns to normal.

The check engine light has come on and off 3 times in the last while, when I pulled the codes the first time it said random/multiple cylinder missfire.

If it was running bad all the time, then I would start replacing plugs and wires and stuff, but it runs fine most of the time, it only acts up after I have parked on a hill.

Im totally stumped....
Anyone have any ideas what it is/might be?

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
On a hill...pointing up hill, pointing down hill or either way?

Only things that occur to me would be fuel or oil accumulating in a low spot and something there allowing oil or fuel to get into the cylinder and foul. Or maybe sediment/water in fuel tank that normally isn't getting to the fuel inlet manages to migrate on the steep hill.

With a clunking noise from the trans I would start wondering about trans fluid level is good.

Just cause they are simple checks I would look at the oil and trans fluid. Like could it have too much oil? Or is trans fluid low?

I admit it sounds weird.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On a hill...pointing up hill, pointing down hill or either way?

Only things that occur to me would be fuel or oil accumulating in a low spot and something there allowing oil or fuel to get into the cylinder and foul. Or maybe sediment/water in fuel tank that normally isn't getting to the fuel inlet manages to migrate on the steep hill.

With a clunking noise from the trans I would start wondering about trans fluid level is good.

Just cause they are simple checks I would look at the oil and trans fluid. Like could it have too much oil? Or is trans fluid low?

I admit it sounds weird.
Uphill or down, doesn't matter. Also doesn't have to be a very steep hill, almost anything thats not flat will do it.

Trans fluid was low, so I added a quart. That didn't change anything though.

It leaks oil, so Im always topping it up every week or two. Just dumped two quarts in the other day...

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Check the distributor for oil inside.....

I would say maybe the Evap system is flooding with fuel, but that wod only happen with a very full tank.

Darren99bora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 xlt extcab
Transmission
Manual
Kinda a stretch but if your harness is damaged in an area that flexes from the body to the engine parking on a hill would cause more flex in the harness possibly opening up cracked insulation causing shorts. Driving it would then "settle" the harness and "fix" the problem. Have you tried starting it and playing with the throttle (parked) like your driving it while on the hill and see if the problem times its self out or stays as long as it's on the hill?

Sent from my Robotee thing that eats Apples!

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could something like this be caused by a bad battery? Just a thought I had when I noticed my blower was slowing down when I came to a stop, and speeding up again once I got back on the gas...

Its already dark, and miserable out, so I will take a look at it tomorrow and try the battery out of my truck in the van to see if it runs nicer.

Darren99bora

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 xlt extcab
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a bad alternator with a good battery that is barely getting a charge. Runs rough when low on charge, once charged it works fine sorta. Depending on the year it could be a pcm.....the alternator regulators were moved to the pcm, not chryslers brightest moment in my opinion.

Sent from my Robotee tablet that eats Apples

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals