• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Case 444 coil question?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is there any reason I can't use a coil from my 2.9 ranger on this single cylinder tractor?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Based on my experience with my dad's 224, I don't see a reason why not. I'm thinking that a coil is a coil is a coil and your little Kohler or Onan or whatever isn't going to care what lights up the plug.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's what I thought too. I'll try it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Based on my experience with my dad's 224, I don't see a reason why not. I'm thinking that a coil is a coil is a coil and your little Kohler or Onan or whatever isn't going to care what lights up the plugs
There are differences though.

I tried running the factory 2.8 Ecoil (used on a lot of Fords from the 80's and 90's) with duraspark. I would get a couple months out of it before I burned up the module, coil or both. I finally pulled the 2.8 computer out and noticed it had a wire still getting tach signal yet, I figured this is why I keep going thru ignition parts.

Then module lifespan was measured in hours. 15min idling it would start dropping cylinders before dying, DS module was too hot to touch.

Looking back now it was using the computer to knock down the signal to let the ignition live as long as it did. Taking away that drain made the module take more of a beating.

I put in the correct canister coil and it ran flawlessly four two months before I tore it down to change the transmission.

I am not familiar with a 444 but be careful or you can do damage to the ignition module or points. A coil isn't just a coil.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A 444 was manufactured by Case/Ingersoll from sometime in the 60's up till around the mid 80's, and the company was sold/reorganized a few times. If you go into a Case dealer today, they will give you weird looks if you even ask about these tractors... in their eyes they don't exist. Kind of an interesting history, anyway. A Case 444 would be equivalent to like a small Kubota and my dad's 224 is about the size of a typical riding mower, but they are REALLY high end equipment and extremely durable. Think $10k+ for a new one (they are still manufactured by Eastman.)

There isn't much to the ignition system - it's a single cylinder engine, the 224 I mentioned has a normal automotive canister coil on it. I'm actually kind of surprised it doesn't have a magneto, but I guess that's common on large-ish single cylinder engines. As long as a coil is present and has power and electrically complete, it is probably fine I'm thinking.

Side note, Duraspark swaps are so bizarre. I had an '84 Ranger that had a Duraspark distributor and box but used the rest of the factory ignition system, carburetor and coil. Ran fine. One I did needed to have a ballast resistor added to drop the coil voltage down - it would run great for a few minutes until the coil overheated (canister type.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals