• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CDX-FM653 working

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I have the Pioneer OEM 6-disc changer in the '97 XLT.

After a lot of looking at things, I was tracing the wiring from the 5-pin connector on the changer because that's how it would communicate with the radio (to use the buttons for CD on the radio) because I couldn't for the life of me see how it hooked to the radio after pulling the bezel/radio, looking at wiring, etc.
I always got "NO DJ" which if you look on page 40 of the owner manual that says, there's no changer hooked to the radio.
So I'm pulling on the wire coming from the changer side to find out where it runs (theoretically, to the radio) and lo and behold I pull out the little display/control unit.
Duh. It plays just fine.
But why would it have not been wired to the radio? The power feed, and the antenna feed (that's how it gets the audio to the radio), they are all laid in under the carpet and come up at the dash per what you would expect in an OEM install (guessing) so why would they have not run the 5-pin cable there and hooked it in? Who knows - could be aftermarket, but it's the one that came with that truck as an option and it's bolted via the pass seat rear bolts so it kinda seems oem.
If you look at the owner manual it says, you use the buttons on the radio to control the CD. That's how it -should- work.
BTW once you see it's playing (by the little control device) you have to put the radio on FM and find, where is the signal. I think there are like 10 choices so if it interferes with your fav station you can change it. I guess they did it like that because if you have a radio you have an antenna... so... it would always connect to any radio.
Really it seems bizarre, why wouldn't you just feed an audio signal to the radio directly. We're talking 25 yr old tech though.
Anyway that was a lot of time on something that actually is working. I guess having the little control is better than nothing, but I wonder what it would take to get it wired like it's supposed to be done.
So if anyone has come up against this let me know.
Edit: it can't be oem, at least not from factory, because the mfg date is 1999. It's oem-type though so it ought to be able to be wired into the radio. That would be the standard install from factory.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals